How exactly do the Marvel comics work?

I'm really confused about the whole complexity of the Marvel comics. The comics go way back to the mid 1900's, obviously, but they still keep coming out with new ones.

I was always under the impression that alot of their comics acted as their own standalone series, sort of like how the movie Venom doesn't coincide with the Avengers movies, and how Tobey Maguire's Spiderman and Andrew Garfield's Spiderman didn't coincide.

I assumed that the comics were like the non MCU movies before the MCU. You know how they made 2 non-MCU Spiderman movie series with both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield? You know how with Tobey Maguire's Spiderman, his main love interest was Mary Jane, and Andrew Garfield's love interest was Wendy? I thought that this difference was due to each series being based on different comic series.

It's kind of hard to explain, but you know how a movie series like Harry Potter is directly related to the books, meaning that the events that transpire occur in mostly the same order in both the books and movies? Well I always thought that with the MCU, the writers were just cherry picking stories and villians out of the Marvel comic pot, and not actually following the plot order of the comics bit by bit.

I'm kind of confusing myself at this point, so I'll try to rephrase: Has every single Marvel comic ever written been in the exact same story line as every other? Have there EVER been any character or story changes that couldn't be explained withing the comics?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The answer is - it's complicated. Comics, including Marvel and DC, have an incredibly convoluted history. Peter Parker was in high school when Spider-Man began in 1962. In 2019, he's in his twenties. He married Mary Jane in 1986 or so, but neither of them has aged. The comic universe is in a kind of suspended animation. Characters come and go. They grow older, then they regress. There's a lot of hand waving and pretending not to notice.

But the Marvel comics take place in the same universe. The stories told in one title are both self-contained and part of the larger universe. Large things that happen in one title can have a lasting impact on other titles. Others are ignored or retconned when they become inconvenient. There are team-ups, groups like the Avengers and Defenders that are made of up characters who also have their own titles, and there are crossovers.

The movies differ from the comics because, well, the comics do the hand-waving that has led to Peter Parker being between the ages of 16 and 29 or so for almost 60 years, and Tony Stark being injured in Korea, then Vietnam, then Afghanistan. The Earth has been under constant threat of alien invasion for all that time in the comics, and has been through a lot of changes. The movies have had to start from scratch and make a new, cohesive and coherent movie and TV universe that's cobbled together out of bits and pieces of the comics universe.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

"with the MCU, the writers were just cherry picking stories and villians out of the Marvel comic pot, and not actually following the plot order of the comics bit by bit."

That is true. The MCU is not an exact adaptation of the comics. They adapt certain stories and make contextual changes so that the film have an adequate story with little confusion.

Now, the Marvel comics have been in the same continuity since the 1930s. Most of the Marvel comics take place in the same fictional universe known as Earth 616, so yes, it is the same storyline.

For example: Spider-Man's origin was first told in 1962, but it is still the same canon story for the last 50+ years. Details have been changed and updated due to the times, but it is the same story.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The Harry Potter books were all written by one author. Marvel comics and movies have hundreds of writers, and the stories aren't always consistent. With Spider-Man things are more complicated because those movie rights were sold separately before the MCU existed.

• 1 year ago

Times change and so do the comics books.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.