How much RAM should I have for gaming and video editing in my new PC for the latest games?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

I have 16 gigs of RAM and still wish my PC were faster, but I also have a mediocre processor.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

The quick & dirty numbers would be...

* BARE MINIMUM: 8 GB's

* Recommended Specs: 16 GB's

* High-end systems: 32 GB's

Going beyond 32 GB's of RAM is generally consider a waste of resources for a SINGLE-user computer (a Server-class or Multi-user system would be a different story) unless you're working with a virtual crapload of videos at one time, a massive & complex 3D render. This is assuming you have a good graphic card (at least a Nvidia GTX 1050 or Radeon RX 560 OR better) & processor (a modern Intel Core-i5/7/9 OR AMD Ryzen series) to do what you want, otherwise the extra RAM would be pointless.

• 8 months ago

DDR4 is the latest RAM on the market. DDR5 should be finalized by the end of the year but there will be no consumer systems that can readily equip DDR5. It's not like you can pick an choose whatever type of RAM you want anyhow since you're stuck with whatever is compatible with the motherboard's DIMM slots. This foolproofs the system because people will try to cheap out and use their old DDR2 or DDR3 with a CPU that's made to run with DDR4 memory. On a higher note, DDR5 will be a huge leap above DDR4.

I noticed you said video editing so you might as well look for 32gb. However, most people who say they're going to edit videos don't name or list what program they're going to run with. You might want to research the video editing programs you intend to use before buying any RAM because this will help you figure out what you actually need.

Video Games are straight-forward. Most games can run with 8gb but there are a few newer games that can push system RAM usage to nearly 10gb. Since 12gb is an odd number for a dual-channel system, 16gb would be the default.

• SRΛSC
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Check the requirements for some of those games & see.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Ram JUST allows you to run a program or multiple programs. With more ram you can run more programs. After 4GB the OS is no longer bottlenecking. You will still see serious limitation if you have a whole lot of ram and a very low end poor cpu.

I would recommend 16gb of ram ddr5 if your computer supports it.

But seriously consider if you say you are running a graphics intense program to get a graphics card. You can have a really good graphics card 2 or 3 grand, and not much CPU and ram, this will do the trick for gaming and for video editing

• 8 months ago

At least 8 GB of RAM. Though I would consider getting 16. But of course, you also want to make sure you have a good graphics card and CPU. Having a lot of RAM won't make up for low-end hardware.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.