Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 5 months ago

HELP! I don’t know what to do with this wild turtle! (Rhode Island)?

My cousin and her mom were driving home from Davies (the school) when they found a sun turtle in the middle of the road.

She (the turtle) seemed to be trying to cross, but they (my cousin and her mom, not knowing anything about turtles) grabbed it and brought it home.

Then, they brought it to me (my aunt hates animals and said that she was going to drop it off on the highway tonight)

I know I can’t release it or keep it or it may die.

Right now it’s in my bathtub and I know it can’t stay there (it’s near the litter box)

What should I do?

Favorite Answer

I'd take it back to the place where they found it and put it on the side of the road that it was headed towards. During mating season turtles (like all reptiles) will migrate between ponds looking to mate. I'm sure his date thinks she was stood up by now, your ruined the poor guys night.

Every year about this time you see turtles trying to cross the road.

• M5 months agoReport

Thank you! As soon as my parents get home, we’re going to have my cousin show us where she was.

• Ryan

just a side note. You can always contact the Department of Natural Resources and they will pick it up for you.

Please take the turtle back to where you found it and release it exactly where you found it it might have eggs and without the turtle around to rotate the eggs and care for them those eggs are going to die! Take the turtle back to where you found it and that'll be the end of the problem.

You take it to a pound or other body of water and turn it loose. its a WILD animal and its illegal to own wild reptiles

• O Man

No, you find out exactly where it was, and place it out of harms way off the road. Nature inteded that turtle to be in that specific spot, not somewhere else.

• Kerri

Take it back to where you found it and release it in the direction it was headed in. I live in south US and get turtles off roads and move them to the grass in the direction they were headed in. My uncle is a retired game warden and he taught me this. Trying to keep wild turtles can transmit salmonella to you or others and will quickly be detrimental to the turtles survival.

Why can't you release it? It's a wild animal. Its instincts just didn't magically disappear when you took it home. There is no reason for it to be in your home at all. Many people will see turtles in the middle of the road and pull over and just place them on the other side. It's not brain science, for crying out loud. There was no reason to take this turtle in the first place.

• I Like Stories

"they stay there forever", that is simply NOT TRUE. I live in Florida, turtles are very common here, we see lots of them trying to cross the roads (including the Interstate) during mating season.

• oikoσ

WTF is a sun turtle? First, try to identify it. Then, check the laws pertaining to that kind of turtle. Your best bet is to go to anapsid.org and find the nearest herpetological society. One of the members might be willing to answer your questions and even adopt the turtle. Second best is a turtle rescue. Third best is asking your veterinarian for permission to place a poster in the waiting room. Fourth best is asking a pet store to adopt it out for you. A distant fifth is using posters or ads to find someone willing to adopt it. In that instance, meet only in a public place.

• James

take it back to where they found it

Supposedly it's not good to remove turtles from their home territory. If possible, it may be best to take it back to where it was and leave it on the side of the road it was trying to get to.

Barring that, I guess another safe habitat in the area and wish it luck.

If for some reason you can't release it, like it's not native to your area or something or is hurt, then maybe look to see if there are any reptile rescues in your area that might be able to take it or have suggestions.

Release it near a pond in as natural an area you can get to.