Can I use gardening gloves while rock climbing?

To make a long story short I have eczema on my hands, and I usually wear cotton gloves on them. I’m going to a camp next week where I’ll get to go rock climbing and do high ropes stuff. I think that I should probably wear something to protect it, but think that the cotton gloves will be too slippery. I have grippy gardening gloves at home, and wanted to know if they might help at all?

• Toruko

I've climbed using leather work gloves in lava tubes,, rappel/prusik gloves in limestone caves,

wetsuit gloves on a sea cliff, I probably used other gloves for various places since 1964.

I was surprised by the return of naked climbers in alpine regions.

• Andy

As a very avid rock climber, I can tell you that it is exceedingly rare to see anyone climbing with gloves simply because no glove gives you the grip and sensitivity of bare skin. If you feel you need to wear gloves, I would highly recommend getting fingerless ones (or cutting the fingers off some work gloves). Loose-fitting cotton gloves will make you very unhappy.

Most "full finger" climbing gloves you may see are either for protection while belaying/rappeling (not climbing, per se) or for alpine climbing/mountaineering where it is cold.

Good luck and enjoy!

I think if you do a little research you can find some actual climbing gloves that would be comfortable for you for around $20. https://www.amazon.com/climbing-gloves/b?ie=UTF8&n...

• Marduk

I would wear heavy rubber gloves, myself. But since I would never rock climb, I don't have the problem. You can get good rubber gloves that aren't for washing.

I think you would be far better off buying a pair of tight fitting work gloves like the ones at the link below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Fingerless-Synt...