promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
James asked in SportsCycling · 9 months ago

Proven methods to achieve a matched leg extension - what works?

I've just learned I have a 1/2" leg-length discrepancy. Over the past Year have settled into a Saddle position that works well. Have added inner-sole material to the footbed of one shoe but - are there PT routines which help? Is this a fascia issue??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 6
    9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Pretty much all people are lopsided to some degree.

At the usual amounts, the body adapts without any drama.

Rule-of-thumb is:”if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Meaning if it isn’t troubling you, don’t worry about it.

A real investigation into leg length relies on measuring the length of the actual bones. Stretching won’t change that.

If it actually is bothering you, there really aren’t any options short of major surgery to fix a skeletal difference. For bicycling, building up the sole/cleat will do fine - if needed. Otherwise, a tiny bit of ankling will handle the issue.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

Have a surgeon remove 1/2" from the longer leg. 😜

Attachment image
  • 9 months ago

There is no way to know with this limited information what could be your best course. EXAMPLE: My brother has had many knee surgeries due to injuries suffered from competing in Karate. One of his first surgeries was somewhat experimental at the time and left him unable to fully extend one leg. He lived with that for about 30 years, but last year he had to have yet another surgery on that knee which for the first time in 30 years allowed him to fully extend that leg. A year later his body is still adapting. If you have no other problems that might result in one leg being longer than the other, seek out a sports professional who can guide you. If you are doing fine with the level of cycling where you now are, keep going. If you wish to advance, look elsewhere, this forum cannot solve this problem.

• Jon
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

As far as cycling goes, would a slightly longer crank on the side where your leg is shorter be useful?

A sports physiotherapist may be the best person to ask.

• James9 months agoReport

It d be useful 50% of the time - Crank Arm would actually need to be shorter though.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

You need special shoes, not a scammy exercise or quack stretching method.

Usually, a thicker sole and heel are fastened to the shoe.

You can pay 500$US or more for a Podiatrist prescription shoes.

OR find an experienced (old school) cobbler.

• 9 months ago

I don't see how PT could make a leg longer (or shorter), that requires surgery.

• James9 months agoReport

Tight Hamstring? Perhaps??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.