Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 6 months ago

Are air conditioners easy to install?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

if you have decent strength,a car to visit thrift shops,,old dogs made

by sears,whirlpool,may be 50 years old but still run well,usually the accordion folding plastic has cracked & has holes,remove it all,the top lip has a built in metal track for the window sash to hold it in place,cut masonite or 3/8 in plywood to fit snug betw ac,& the side tracks,,of both the inside lower sash & outside storm wdw track,make sure the air vents all outside,coat the plywood with linseed oil so the outside facing plywd beads water off in rain.

use duck tape to seal all outside seams, or caulk,

older acs usually can be cleaned with garden hoses,and mild soap,get the coils too,tip the unit so all water empties out,dry in sun.

use paper towel as the inside coil blades covering to filter out dirt & dust.

the cleaner the guts are on the unit,the nicer smelling the machine's air will be.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

it depends on the type of air conditioner, but if you need help you can hire someone to do it

• Rain
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I would leave the installation to a professional to avoid unpleasant surprises.

• 6 months ago

They aren't all that hard.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It depends on the air conditioner, some are and some aren't.

• 6 months ago

Not really. I suggest two people. The evaporator coil has to be set on top of the furnace, and the condenser has to be set outside. The line set has to be soldered correctly to ensure no refrigerant leaks. The system has to be vacuumed down before the lines are broke, The refrigerant has to be the correct lbs for that specific unit. A disconnect has to be installed and wired to the breaker box, ant the whip installed to the contactor on the condenser. There’s still many other steps for the install.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

yes they can be easy to install

• 6 months ago

Mr. Interesting is right. Window units are just plug the cord into the outlet and extend the supports on the side of the unit with the unit facing the correct way. Whole house units require real wiring and a connection to your house's ventilation system. I can easily set up a window unit, but I'm not even trying to set up a whole house unit.

• 6 months ago

Depends on the situation.

Some window-mount units can be set up in ten minutes.

Some whole-house units take a crew of three an entire day to install, or even longer.

Some are simple. Some are more complex.

• 6 months ago

Window units. Yes, very easy but a bit heavy and make sure you do it correctly or it could fall out of the window.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.