Does anyone actually Dress in white for labor day?

I have only ever heard of that tradition in the context of someone wearing all white, prompting someone to comment that "it's not labor day". Is it something people used to do? Is it a cult following of people that do it? cuz wearing green on st-patrick's day seems more widely done.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

That's not the expression, and that's not what it means. It's AFTER not on. As in summer or fall fashion season.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

sorne people rnight , i dont

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Some might, but the concept of not wearing white (not meaning all white, but white shirt, shorts/pants, or white shoes) was because white was considered a Summer color, and even though Labor Day isn't the beginning of Autumn it does signify pretty much the end of the Summer season (in the US) - kids are usually back in school, Summer vacations are over, etc.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No one that I have ever known has dressed in white for Labor Day. I have never heard of such a thing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

They are referring to P Diddy's white party.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hamptons-mo...

• James
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's not on Labor Day. It was a custom that certain color clothes should only be worn for certain seasons. White is a summer color, and Labor Day is considered to be the end of summer, so wearing white after Labor Day was being out of season.

• 6 months ago

I think the idea is that you're not supposed to wear white after labor day. But it's silly and no one follows it. It's an outdated fashion convention from the late 1800s.

• drip
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

No, that was still very much in fashion in the 1950’s. My mother is 87 and still won’t wear white shoes after Labor Day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.