How do I build a relationship with my professors?

I'm an incoming college freshman who has a painfully shy demeanor that has kept me from a lot of opportunities in high school. In high school, I did very well academically but the thing that kept me from getting into the college I wanted was that I wasn't close to any of my teachers. I never participated in... show more I'm an incoming college freshman who has a painfully shy demeanor that has kept me from a lot of opportunities in high school. In high school, I did very well academically but the thing that kept me from getting into the college I wanted was that I wasn't close to any of my teachers. I never participated in class unless I was called on, rarely interacted with my teachers, etc. Evidently, this was the reason I received (most likely) mediocre letter of recommendations.

I already know that I want to go to graduate school after college but I know that won't be possible if I don't overcome my horrible shyness. I'm terribly socially awkward (especially when it comes to interacting with authority figures) so I don't even know where to start. All I want is to get over my fear of actively participating in class and interact with my teachers.

Any advice other than to 'just do it'?