Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 months ago

Do you agree with this guy, Christians cannot attend gay weddings as a guest?

Every guest at a wedding is technically a witness to that wedding, and if they are a witness they are someone who affirms the statement of faith that is being made.

He goes on,

"When you go to a gay wedding therefore, you are not only affirming gay sex. You are also affirming the "gay couples" beliefs about marriage (which contradicts the Christian beliefs about marriage) and therefore you are openly, publicly and formally denying your Christian faith."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2018...

• Paul
    Favorite Answer

It would be sacrilegious to show approval of a mockery of something sacred. Marriage is a sacrament defined and made holy by God Himself. To try to twist it into something perverted is sinful, and attendance at such an event would show support and approval of that perversion.

I would definitely feel like a hypocrite but at the same time What if one of my family members became gay and wanted me to be supportive? Wow a great question. I dont condone it but I would feel bad if I had to let down someone I cared about due to my beliefs.

Here in EU it is illegal to discriminate against gays

Yes. As Christians the Bible says we are to hate what God hates. We may love that person but the Practice of homosexuality is what we hate and as the Bible says "from these things keep away from".

If we truly believe the words in the Bible, then the answer would be NO. If we go then we are giving approval to this lifestyle which is condemned in the Bible. It s a hard choice, especially if one was a good friend.

• catbalou8

Yes, better to betray and humiliate a good friend than to break the rules of a fictitious god.

• jimmy

No. Religion doesn't own marriage. Marriage is the consensual and contractual union of two unrelated adults. That union is gender neutral. There are many churches that now perform wedding ceremonies for same sex couples.

Yes. Another reason I would not go is because I would not be able to say "Congratulations".

I'm a Christian and strive to live my life according to Bible standards/morals/principles. I wouldn't feel right attending a gay wedding. Why would I want to witness something that clearly goes against what I believe?

• catbalou8

Because presumably you would care about the couple's happiness. So sad that your bigoted beliefs would prevent you from being a loving human being.

No, I don't agree with "this guy." Being a witness means you have watched an event. It does not mean you approve of it, but you still witness it because of a friendship. "This guy" sounds like a legalist lacking in empathy and compassion, and he will never be counted on for support of a friend. Not every gay marriage is conduction in a true house of God.

Yes. If God says homosexuality is sinful, how can you attend a gay wedding ?

• jon pike

Says the one afraid to take responsibility for their answers.