Ever been struck, or in a building struck by lightening?

I used to live in Florida. My house was stuck twice. The first hit the AC unit on the roof, and blew out the digital thermostat. The second hit my tree next to the house. The tree was damaged, and the flood lamp on the side of the house, near the tree exploded.

Both times I felt the shock, like a really strong head to toe tingle.

The entire house lit up. The sound shook the entire house like an earthquake.

Both times my 75 pound female Labrador was scared out of her mind. Both times she leaped into my lap trembling. The first time I was sitting in my recliner watching TV. The poor dog was timid for about two days. Normally she fears nothing. The second time I was seated at the kitchen table eating. She almost knocked the table over, and my meal ended up all over the floor.

Yes. 3 times. 2 of which in less than 18 hours.

And this was in northern illinois

• M.

Yes.

There's not enough room to write about what happened in that fraction of a second.

• Edwena

One time I was BBQ and a lightening bolt hit a big post oak tree about 40 feet from where I was standing. I happened to be looking at it and saw the lightening go down the tree and blow bark and a limb off. We live on a hill and so what I did was buy two residential size power poles (probably 16 feet up and 4 feet down) and set them out a few hundred feet on each side from the house. Put a copper rod on top with a big ground wire going down to a standard 8 foot ground rod driven in the ground. My theory is that it is the reverse of what you think. It does not attract a lightening strike, but it does disperse the charge before the lightening can build up to strike. They have been in for about 15 years and still look good. We do not have the frequent lightening strikes on this hill like we did in the past. So you may want to put one up. I have an even better lightening story. A longer time ago, I was mowing the yard and it started to rain so I stopped. But, I was dirty and decided to wash the car in the rain. So, I got out a bucket,soap and sponge and started washing the car. Suddenly, I saw a wall of light off in the distance moving towards me, across the property (say a thousand feet in 2 seconds) and ran over me. It shocked me through the arm where I was washing the car. It was a real shock, and while I was standing there cussing, a few seconds later, a lightening bolt hit a transformer on a power pole about a quarter of a mile away. Knocked the electricity out.

• Olive

Glad you came out of that ok, thatd be little close for comfort. Never had that happen to me no, but did have lightning strike a tree in the yard and that was scary.

When I lived in a house in Georgia back in the late 90'2 it was struck by lightning. Several TV's the garage door opener and all the cordless phones were damaged as a result.

No but I’ve heard bad stories