An atmospheric scientist at Creighton U said, “Whatever the weather, it's not being caused by global warming." Thoughts?

“Whatever the weather, it's not being caused by global warming."

--Atmospheric scientist Dr. Art V. Douglas, Creighton University

Source: https://www.epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2009/1...

Attachment image

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The news headlines are starting to get colder as the Solar Grand Minimum cycle deepens:

SUMMER MEANS WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES FOR THE STATE OF COLORADO — SIMILAR STORY ACROSS MUCH OF THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE

JUNE 24, 2019

The city of Steamboat Springs recorded almost two feet of snow over the weekend, according to CBS News. The last time the city saw snow this late in the season was on June 17, 1928.

Arapahoe Basin ski area, located in the Rocky Mountains, is still open, and will likely remain that way through the July 4th weekend.

And the anomalous cold isn’t just confined to Colorado, either, as the state Montana looks, according to AccuWeather, a lot more like the middle of winter than the first weekend of summer.

While in Washington state, too, it’s been “a cold start to the summer,” according to local news outlets.

Frigid conditions have also infected the Midwest low country, where Chicago’s maximum high of 15.6C (60F) on Sunday set an all-time record low for the coldest maximum temperature in late June, according to the NWS Chicago.

And it’s also been anomalously chilly across the pond, too.

The Irish Times reports, “The country is wallowing in a cold, rainy spell that shows no signs of abating.

While Central England is on course for one it’s top-20 coldest June’s in 360 years of records.

China, Japan are also experiencing the change to Global Cooling too.

Empirical climate observations, along with crop losses, shorter growing seasons, cooler, wetter weather proves the Sun, Galactic Cosmic ray flux, Planetary Orbital variations and Nature drives the Earth's climate.

Attachment image
  • 5 months ago

there have always been periods of global warming and cooling. there is nob evidence or even data to suggest that there is man made global warming, people think 20 or 100years is a long t5ime but thats like a split second for there earth. the earth is still warming from the ice age. we will all be dead most likely by the next age but the earth will be fine

• 5 months ago

You can always find one who will try to make a name with BS.

• 5 months ago

Some of the answers here show you the strength of the denial movement.

The deniers here have a clear statement from an atmospheric scientist. But what do the deniers do?

The deniers equivocate. They need "context." They need other statements from scientists. They say he's a liar. They say he is paid. One person said he doesn't even know if this quote was said. Even though it's right there in black and white!

This is what progressives do. It doesn't matter what someone says or even if someone says what he means. It's more important to know how the progressive feels about it. The progressive knows better how to understand a message more than the guy who delivered it!

Next thing you know, they'll say he really didn't mean it because his mother didn't love him enough.

• 5 months agoReport

Yes don't question just click heals and salute

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Well I don't know if he said it or not, I can't find reputable source that he did say it, but according to U.S. Senate Minority Report in 2008, posted by Marc Morano (who is not a credible source), the full quote is “Whatever the weather, it's not being caused by global warming. If anything, the climate may be starting into a cooling period.”

Why did you leave the second half out? Could it be because 8 of the following 10 years have been record highs and since that second half has been debunked, it makes the complete statement garbage.

Lets focus on the first half (Whatever the weather, it's not being caused by global warming) You might think you are being clever, but we know that thanks to earths atmosphere the earth is not a giant snowball so the weather does change due to global warming!

it makes absolutely no sense to suggest that further warming, as a result of human emissions of CO2 (from the burning of fossil fuels), does not have an effect on weather.

• 5 months ago

I would need to know the context of that statement. Perhaps he was differentiating between weather and climate. You shouldn't say that any given weather event is caused by global warming. But, sometimes, global warming will push the weather over the threshold. But, global warming is never the only factor in weather. But, it is a contributing factor. Sometimes, a cold weather event could be slightly less cold because of global warming.

Lv 5
    5 months ago

3 of 4 replies here are funny. Let's check them out.

1. Oikoo simply says "so." He's asked a question and seems at a loss for what a scientist is telling him.

2. David. Instead of actually looking for what it means, he hostilely replies with cliches and bad analogies.

3. Anon. Replies with insults.

Only Jim seems to attempt to answer the question.

So you have a bunch of climate activists complaining that their opposition doesn't follow science. They're then given a quote by an actual scientist versed in climate, but they have no real response.

Kinda tells you what the movement is about, huh?

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It is a good point. The weather is weather. I would say further that whatever the climate is, it isn't being caused by global warming. It isn't be "caused" by our CO2. The most that could be said is that it may be affected by our CO2. It seems likely to me that it has resulted in a degree or two or warming above the warming we would have had anyway. The fact that it hasn't done much in 20 years is pretty good evidence that its effect was and continues to be grossly exaggerated by those with an agenda.

• Dirac
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

"...it hasn't done much in 20 years..." except undergo very rapid warming. Have you ever considered looking at the data?

• David
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

So you're interested in what scientists say? You wouldn't just cherry pick the ones that say things that you like, that would be hypocritical and biased of you wouldn't it?

The quote itself is hardly even meaningful anyway. It's true: the weather (right now in one location) doesn't tell you anything about global warming, any more than the amount of money in your wallet right now can tell you something about the current trend in the global economy.

EDIT for anon. Who I have to respond to here because he has me blocked, presumably so he can delude himself into thinking no one has a response to his masterful arguments.

You say I didn't look into what it means, when I (as Jim said too) clearly said that the quote is true. So too would be saying that the sky is blue and water is wet. It's inconsequential and I think this was Oikoo's point too. If Dr. Douglas has any other arguments that are more substantial I would be interested in reading them. Anyone with credentials deserves to be considered. It doesn't mean they're automatically right, though.

And it's not hostile to suggest that it is hypocritical. It is hypocritical to mine the internet for a few cherry picked quotes that you like and wave away the thousands of scientists and published literature that are saying things every day that you don't like. It's dramatically biased and closed-minded.

• David
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

Dirac the Yahoo Joker blocked you? Wow that is pathetic.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I'm sure it's either lies or taken out of context or the person in question is being paid or just stupid I don't particularly care that's because not a single one of your claims so far has stood up to scrutiny, you're a liar, a freak and a loser now kindly piss off to the children section where you belong.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.