Does one have to attend a church in order to be considered a Christian?

88 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

sure ....................................

• Carym
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes. The True Church, after the writings of the Apostles and Evangelists, talks about the Church having Jesus Christ as its Head, while the Church itself (humans, both alive and dead) constitute His Body. Therefore, you can’t disassociate from the Church as a Christian anymore than you can disassociate from humanity as a person.

'Applying the Bible' is what we are called to do [James 1:22]. If we don’t apply it, the Bible becomes nothing more than a boring book of words, narratives and commands.

Jesus began His earthly ministry by preaching the Gospel. "From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" [Matthew 4:17] and concluded it by sending out His apostles to preach and continue His work, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations… teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” [Matthew 28:19–20].

The early Christians gathered daily. Gathering together for teaching, worship, edification, and fellowship. We can read the Bible or sing on our own; we cannot enjoy fellowship by ourselves. In fact, Corporate Worship is a Biblical Command [Hebrews 10:24-25].

Spiritual Gifts are part of the very nature of God, given to us to impact the Church. But most of the "churches" today have ushered out the Holy Spirit, and these "barren" churches do not hesitate to identify themselves as true Christian Churches.

Paul clearly explained the purpose of Spiritual Gifts. God gave Spiritual Gifts for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ: as we use our Spiritual Gifts, the Body of Christ will be edified, unified, and matured; we will avoid deception by Satan and by wicked men; and we will grow in Christ.

The other sacraments that Christ Himself instituted, are the 'Baptism' [Matthew 28:18–20]; [Mark 16:16], AND Holy Communion [Matthew 26:26–29].

Therefore, it is imperative that we choose the right Church. The best way is to ask God's guidance (through prayer) in this regard. Because apart from the Gospel preached, there is no Church. Period! And the Gospel includes the Gifts of the Spirit.

There are also difficult circumstances where people cannot attend a church, for example 'anti-Christian' countries-- where public gatherings are extremely difficult. God knows the circumstances.

Can we have fellowship and experience God outside the Church? Yes. What do you think we do during the week? We are the Church (body) and wherever we go Jesus goes with us.

• Al
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

You are the Temple of God, his Kingdom can never depart you because what he created, he made perfect..... Christianity is just a label, a church is a gathering place, but the holy spirit is already gathered within you wherever you are.... you need only believe in God and accept his gift which is given freely as an inheritance of his kingdom.....

• 6 months ago

I you are inclined to go to a place where you are told what is, over and over for a lifetime, then you are dumb.

• 6 months agoReport

You could literally reverse that and say: "If you don't feel inclined to go to church with fellow believers of what is, again and again for a lifetime by your own choice, you are dumb."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

A Christian IS a member of the Church Jesus Christ promised to build, which the gates of Hades would never overcome. He spoke of that Church in Matthew chapter 16 and all those who (like the apostle Peter) confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, instantly are in that Church. That is the Church which Christ so loved, He died for her. It would be a strange Christian who chose not to associate with fellow members of that Church.

Attending services of worship with fellow-believers is what 'church' is all about. It is a witness to the unbelieving world; it is for the edification of those who gather - to edify each other; it is for communal prayer (the prayer-meeting being the power-house of local congregations). I mean, if we Christians are going to spend eternity together in Heaven, worshipping God there, should we not enjoy the warm-up here on Earth, in local congregations of Christians? As I said, it would be a strange Christian who chose not to associate with fellow members of that Church.

• Carym
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

Sorry, I forgot you did confess the other day that you were baptized at the age of 22. Just remember to always add this bit, because this is how we enter Christ's body, or we could be warming up for a whole different place.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

the reformation came from the question: salvation by deeds or by grace.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

God is truly evil. Ignoring my desperate prayers for him to end my suffering after I asked for forgiveness, not giving me what I need. He’s Just letting things get worse in life, letting me suffer till I feel like committing suicide, not helping me, not saving me. Meanwhile he gives others everything they want and don’t even need.

• Rebecca
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

your heart and your mind towards believing that what God says, He means. You asked for forgiveness, KNOW you are forgiven. You asked for salvation, KNOW you have received it. All people suffer. It's just a matter of thinking that allows you to overcome it, or by overcome by it. So overcome it.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

God said the people are the church, not any building and consider. LOOK AT THE BUILDINGS THAT CLAIM TO WORSHIP GOD (WHATEVER THE RELIGION) do you really think God can be found in splendour or amongst the poor.

• Chaphaz Yahshua
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

God is omnipresent, but God says He doesn't dwell in temples made by human hands. (Acts 7:48...)

• Paul
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Jesus Christ came to Earth to establish a Church. He instituted His seven Sacraments within His Church, appointed leaders of His Church, and gave His Church specific truths that they were commanded to teach. He further promised the leadership of His Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". He clearly intended that one Church to be His voice and His authority, and the sole source of His truth on Earth. Which is why that one Church remains one in belief, one in teaching, one in worship, one in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years. Some have rejected His Church's authority and teaching, and founded churches of their own, claiming that their source of truth would not be His Church, but a book compiled by that same Church from its own writings. The result - fragmentation into thousands of conflicting unauthorized manmade denominations, the teaching of each one contradicting the teaching of the others. Truth cannot contradict truth, therefore widespread untruth being taught in His name - total doctrinal chaos after just a few hundred years. You just can't beat God's plan.

• Olive Garden
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Magisterium of the Catholic Church was in existence since Day One and going strong up to this days.

• 6 months ago

Forsake not the gathering together of believers. But no. We need to find a good bible believing church and fellowship with other believers. God wants us together and worshiping Him with one accord.

• David
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

http://www.candlestickpress.faithweb.com/cgi-bin/blog 2:24-25, KJV).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.