What is the average starting salary for elementary teachers in your area?

I've heard that teaching is a low paying profession. Is it possible to live alone off working as a school teacher?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • MS
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

New teachers in my state start just under $35,000 with a bachelor's degree. It is a liveable wage in our area because we have a relatively low cost of living, but it's definitely not a comfortable wage. It's very difficult to support a family on a single teacher's salary here.

• 6 months ago

Starting salaries range from $44,000-50,000/year and go up from there, but housing is expensive here. It's very difficult to buy a house on a teacher's salary here.

• drip
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

My niece has been an elementary teacher for over 20 years in two different states. She owns her own three bedroom house and car. This is her second home. She is on her own. And now she just had twins. She planned by saving up both time and days off plus got insurance like Aflac to help with time off costs.

She did get her Masters degree and her salary automatically went up.

In Illinois average stating pay is $39,000 per year. Average teaching salary in IL is $61,000. In Chicago the pay is above the national average.

You can google it for any area. Salary varied

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Working as an intellectual drab and prostitute in the state’s compulsory indoctrination day-prisons for children is a pathetic and disgraceful occupation. The pay should be as much as people VOLUNTARILY pay them for this child abuse, namely zero.

It should be illegal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

The starting salary for elementary school teachers in my state is around $40,000, with the average salary being around $50,000.

-If- you can get a job. Elementary teaching is fairly glutted, with more teachers coming out than jobs available. As guru says, the real need is in science and math education at the high school level. At many schools, science and math are taught by teachers not licensed to teach those subjects.

As a single person you won't live in the lap of luxury on $40,000 a year, but you won't starve (in most places). Expect take-home pay of about $32,000 after taxes (or less if you live in a state with high income tax). You should be fairly comfortable except in places with very high housing costs, such as New York City or San Francisco.

• 6 months ago

Varies widely by state, but teaching is no longer poverty row. Starting salaries for certified teachers run from upper-30's to low-50's. New MDs in their first year of residency only earn in the 40's to low-50's! Plus teachers only work 9-10 months a year, so they have numerous ways to earn additional money, starting with summer school, coaching, tutoring. Advisors to student organizations may earn more, too. For new grads, teaching does not pay badly at all, and there are a lot of benefits in addition to that salary being for only 9-10 months work/year, instead of 50-51 weeks of work out of 52.

Elementary Ed does not pay as well as high school subjects, especially math & science - that's where the need & money lie. Elementary Ed is the lowest paid of teachers, and the most glutted end of the market, therefore the toughest for finding a job. Plenty of competition. With a bachelor's in sciences or math, and M.Ed. you'd earn quite a bit more.

• MS
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not all states provide different compensation for different specilizations. In my state, your teaching salary is dependent on your level of education and your years of service. It doesn't matter if you teach pre-k or calculus.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

UK about £23K per annum. Bloody awful if you ask me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.