Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 5 months ago

Would I get good accuracy mixing epoxy and catalyst by weight?

Rather than volume?

I want to mix the epoxy in small quantity which makes it require accuracy, so I thought I could use the digital scale. The proportions must be exactly equal.

Update:

Thanks for all answers. This is bar top epoxy which seems to be very intolerant of imbalance. The only downside I know of is stickiness, but a sticky underside to your finder is not on my list of defects. It should be volume, correct. But I would have much trouble to measure by volume while I can do a good job by weight.. I am going to assume it will be close enough even though one's densitiies are less.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

I though the epoxy & catalyst were formulated to match by volume. If the manufacturer wanted you to match by weight, they would say on on the label. If all else fails, read the directions!

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

As long as both components weigh the same, this would work, but if the epoxy weighs more or less than the catalyst, you'd just end up with a sticky glob.

• 5 months ago

you can visually inspect for viscosity/density and get an approximate answer.

you will never find an "exact" proportion. the epoxies are probably even formulated for a specific margin of error. The plunger and mixing mechanisms are fairly crass when it comes to exacting measurements.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.