Are managers responsible for bed bug treatments or are tenants?

I feel like my mom's manager just didn't want to pay for the bed bug heat treatment which costed $1,200 and she just blamed my mom for introducing the bed bugs. My mom is in a wheelchair and had a stroke, she doesn't go out a lot and has no reason to go out unless it's for grocery shopping and when she does go out it's if her caretaker or me take her out. That's literally all she goes out for. Her left side of her body is paralysed and she doesn't do much anymore. The only other people who go in and out of the apartment is me, my little brother and my mom's care provider. My little brother was still going to HS when we started getting bed bug bites and signs of infestation. He graduated in June of this year. I don't go out too often but when I do it's because I go to eat, grocery shopping or go the movies. I don't really go to other people's house & didn't go out until AFTER I found signs of bed bug bites already on me. I could see how we have probably introduced the bed bugs in to the apartment BUT without PROOF of intro ducing them in to the apartment I feel it was wrong for the manager to make my mom pay for the $1,200 heat treatment! Her apartment complex has mice, roaches, spiders, and other really bizarre looking insects! I feel like other apartment units could have had them and it just spread to my mom's unit! Why did she put the whole $1,200 on my mom's tab? Is there anything I could do about this? It feels so unfair?!

Oh also she has housing and has lived here for over a year already. June marking the exact 1 year residency.

I know who is responsible for bed bug treatments, I'm just saying was it fair for the manager to put the whole $1,200 on my mom's tab without having proof other than saying "we didn't have bed bugs before you moved in."??? I feel like my mom is being taken advantage of! Is there anything I could to help her??? She is living off of social security income and that barely lasts from month to month with rent, electricity & gas, food, and especially her medical need & supplies!

Favorite Answer

You must contact your state's housing division

to get your answer.

the HEAT treatment is not required, landlord can opt for pesticide which is cheaper.

state laws vary, in some states, the landlord is always required to treat at his expense. in others, if she can prove the tenant was negligent or brought in the problem, the tenant is liable.

NOTE: YOU AND YOUR MOTHER FAILING TO REPORT IT RIGHT AWAY IS NEGLIGENT. you previously said the sheets were so badly stained with blood they had to be thrown away....that indicates you let the problem go on for a long time...and could even be held liable if they spread to other apartments

she can stay in the home for the pesticide (just move to the room not being treated at the moment, or can just wait outside for a short time.

she WILL NEED TO LEAVE FOR HOURS FOR THE HEAT TREATMENT.

if it can be shown you/your mom/your guest brought it in, you can be held liable in some states. and yes there is a chance a person who rarely goes out could have brought them in...such as from the waiting room in a doctors office.

in some states, the tenant is financially responsible no matter what.

if the care provider works in other homes, that is a high risk. i heard of a case where the agency who provided the aid was successfully sued (it was a live in whose own house was infested).

bed bugs have been found in movie theaters and schools...could have gotten into bros locker/book bag.

not only does your apartment need to be treated, surrounding apartments, possibly the whole building needs treatment.

what do you mean she has housing? everyone with a roof over their head has housing. do you mean some type of low income housing? since you live there is your income counted? what are you contributing financially?

you can pay the bill, and don't insist on the more expensive treatment when it happens again (because the other apartments weren't treated)

but then again, if it was as bad as you say (due to your negligence) heat may be cheaper as it is more efficient, may have needed NUMEROUS pesticide treatment...and you would have to follow through with your part cleaning everything...

If all she does is go grocery shopping, she didn't bring the bed bugs.

"My little brother was still going to HS when we started getting bed bug bites and signs of infestation."

The infestation occurred during your family's tenancy. They could have migrated from another apartment, or gained a foothold due to any other number of ways. Why do you think that is the responsibility of the landlord? Your mother has to pay for the treatment because it's her apartment. She won't be asked to pay for the neighboring units.

Most states require landlords to provide habitable housing and most courts don't consider bedbug infested buildings to be habitable. Considering the whole complex has mice and a variety of insects including roaches they risk being shut down by the health department. It sounds like you have a slumlord who is too cheap to pay for a professional exterminator to treat each unit on a regular basis. In order for heat treat to be effective you have to treat the entire building. In the case of a multi unit complex, it can be impossible to prove which tenant introduced the bugs in which case I would consult an attorney to see if you have a case. You might be able to sue the landlord for damages especially if there are no records the building has been treated on a regular basis.

• SimplytheFACTS

sounds like low income housing that is often trashed by deadbeats and rent is too low to maintain it