Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

I want to be a nurse, but I’m really bad at math?

I’ve been wanting to be a nurse since 8th grade, it’s my dream job. However, I always struggle with math. I mostly have a problem with conversions, fractions and decimals. I’m just concerned because of the types of math I’m gonna be dealing with in nursing school? Is there too much, do you think I’ll be able to pull it off? Thanks!

I think you should go to tutoring and get help on math. To become a nurse, although you won't necessarily need to take Calculus, but you do need to know the basics of mathematics. In order to do that, you'll need to watch more videos online and practice more math problems at home. There are many resources nowadays and it's easy to find them on your own. You can use the tools online to help you on math. Just go to Khan Academy and see all the materials online. You'll find lots of topics covered in basic mathematics, Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, etc. Many students often go there to learn more about the topics that they've missed when they were in school. Or ask your school counselor about finding a math tutor and after school tutoring programs.

If it’s not something that can be fixed with practice it could be a problem. Not necessarily being a nurse but getting through nursing school. The chemistry that they take requires a lot of math and you typically have to take up to precalculus for math. Fractions is like prealgebra level math and precalculus is much harder! If you struggled in math in high school or were in remedial classes or got bad grades it will be an uphill battle. However if it’s a case of just being rusty that can probably be fixed with practice.

Follow your dreams

d adad ad adada ad a

• Daniel

You have 4 more years of high school to get better at math. The three types of math you listed are probably the three most commonly used in medicine.

DCM5150 gave a good example of a common med math problem except that weight based drug doses are based on weight in kg, not pounds, so you have the added fun of first converting the patient's weight to kg (unless you are from a country that already does weight in kg).

Well, you are going to need to be able to be good at conversions, fractions and decimals. For example, if a doctor prescribes 0.5mg/lb for a patient every 12 hours and the drug contains 1mg/mL and the patient weighs 172 lbs, can you figure out what volume of medication the patient is to be given?

These are the types of conversions you might need to do. There are conversions all over the place that you will need to be able to do.

as long as you don't mind killing someone because of bad math., go for it .

• Stoo

Given nurses will interact with drugs and dosage calculations are incredibly important, you'll just have to get better at math. Practice makes perfect - this is basic arithmetic and logic, something you can start to get better at with repeated exposure.

• Jen

I think you can pull it off with practice and tutoring

• Kenny

A physical therapist is similar in helping people or some other field in the health care industry .