Can I practice parking in a parking lot with my sister who is 17?

I live in Minnesota and need to practice parking for my upcoming test. I have had my permit for about 10 months and just need to practice. My sister has also had her license for almost 2 years, only thing is she is 17. We would also be in my school parking lot if that changes anything

Minnesota law does not require a driver’s license in order to drive a motor vehicle on private property.

The person with you must be at least 21 and have held a full license for at least 3 years.

Drivers licenses are not required when driving on private property. If the parking lot is private property, it'd be legal, up until security kicks you out.

Rather than practicing parking with real (expensive) cars around you, I'd recommend finding a big open unused parking lot (or something similar) and put up inexpensive cones or something and pretend those are cars and practice your parking that way. Accidentally hitting a cone isn't going to cost $3,000 in damage like hitting a real car could.

You can' legally operate the vehicle without a licensed driver age 21 or over. Parking lots ARE NOT an exception.

Phase I - Instruction Permit

Applicant Qualifications:

Must be at least 15 years of age

Must have completed the appropriate amount of classroom instruction and be enrolled in behind-the-wheel instruction

Must pass vision and knowledge (written) tests, complete application and pay the required fee

Parent or legal guardian's signature and certification required on application

Conditions

Permit holder may drive under the supervision of a certified driving instructor, parent or guardian or other licensed driver 21 years of age or older

Every occupant must wear a properly fastened seat belt or use a properly fastened child restraint system

The driver with an instruction permit may not use or talk on a cell phone while driving, with or without a hands-free cell phone device

The permit is valid for two years and may be renewed.

It is illegal to practice driving without a valid instruction permit. When you drive, the instruction permit must be in immediate possession.

• Nuff Sed

Probably true, but your cited reference doesn't specifically say that driving laws apply to privately owned parking lots. Minnesota law does not require a driver’s license in order to drive a motor vehicle on private property.

Idk the laws in your own home state

but I believe it is best to have an adult

10+ years your senior to practice with.

That is the best way to do it.

No, she has to be 18.