Can my landlord keep me from ending my lease/keep my deposit?

I entered a year long lease with my current property management company that ended June 1st, 2019. I had tried contacting them the whole month before about signing another lease to be able to stay on with a month to month lease and they only got back to me the day before my lease ended (May 31st) and basically said... show more I entered a year long lease with my current property management company that ended June 1st, 2019. I had tried contacting them the whole month before about signing another lease to be able to stay on with a month to month lease and they only got back to me the day before my lease ended (May 31st) and basically said "this is how much we are going to charge you from now on", but never had me sign any other lease. So I paid them the amount they asked for using our online portal. Now, I want to leave and move to another place. The lease I signed before (the expired one) said that I had to give my landlord 30 days notice to be able to leave. However, since this lease is expired and they never technically had me sign a new one, am I correct in thinking I don t have to give them 30 days notice? Could they use this against me to keep my deposit? Basically I want to know if they can hold me to anything since they don t have a nonexpired lease that has my signature.