Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 months ago

Titanic was a sad story until i found out black people wernt allowed on the ship.?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Joseph Phillippe Lemercier Laroche, a Haitian passenger with a second class ticket died in the sinking. His wife and two children survived.

Attachment image
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If they had the fare they wuld have been allowed to sail, no black person from england wanted to go onto the boat! there was only a small number of black people living in england at that time.

• 5 months ago

Troll harder next time kid. Her maiden voyage started in Great Britian/England, where she was built. There were several blacks on the ship, crewmen and passangers.

• 5 months ago

It's not true. There weren't many blacks on the ship, but how many blacks were there in England in 1912 that would be coming to the US?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

So what you're saying is you wanted black people to freeze to death in the middle of the ocean?

• Fred
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I imagine the few black people who wanted to travel across the Atlantic between Europe and France were likely only allowed on lower class ships. The major liners of the time probably felt if racist whites saw blacks travelling on the same ship they would have not gone with that shipping line. Much of the prestige of the liners was on their first class passenger comfort, but in reality it was steerage class where the money was to be made ferrying poor immigrants to America. Rich British and American businessmen likely at the time were very racist as saw blacks as subservient people only fit to work for whites or keep to their own kind so were not wanted on passenger ships so as not to offend the racist whites of the time. Likely even in steerage with the poorer passengers blacks would not have been welcomed and would have caused problems for the shipping line so likely it was easier to not allow them on the big prestigious liners.

• Tina
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

'I imagine' and 'probably' are very bad guides to facts
      As you see, there were people of colour on board The Titanic.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They didn't allow blue people either you know.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

If that was true it would still be sad, but it wasn't and is still sad.

• 5 months ago

Well your "found" is apparently incorrect. And how many blacks had money to sail on a very expensive ship?

• 5 months ago

😄

Would be a mood killer for me too.

Thank God my people migrated here to the states in the late 1950s/1960s, LEGALLY. When segregation ended. Because I wouldn't be able to bear hearing news about mistreatment of any kind by race.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.