First heavy metal song: Summertime Blues or Black Sabbath?

What do you consider to be the first heavy metal tune and why?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

1964 all the day and all of the night - the kinks

1964 you really got me - the kinks

1967 purple haze - jimi hendrix

1967 fire - jimi hendrix

1967 Are You Experienced? - jimi hendrix

1967 I Don't Live Today - jimi hendrix

1967 sunshine of your love - cream

1968 in a gaddad vida - iron butterfly

1969 whole lotta love - led zeppelin

1970 speed king - deep purple

1970 into the fire - deep purple

• Smiley
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Deep Purple's In Rock was released 1970, and far "heavier" not to mention louder than Machine Head (1972). Also, the first Lucifer's Friend (self titled) was released 1970. Every bit as heavy as some of Sabbath's earlier material. The debut by Uriah Heep deserves a nod (1970). But yeah, Sabbath takes it..

• 5 months ago

black sabbath no question

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

The Kinks - "You Really Got Me" . Listen carefully to the band's arrangement and the structure of the song. It has all the makings of heavy metal. The recording production makes it sound like a catchy mid '60s pop song, which I guess is the way its seen now...but for me it is the foundation stone for metal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

critics in the 70s called black sabbath heavy metal and they liked the name of heavy metal so they were the first to be named heavy metal and they brought the palm muting and heavily distorted sound to music but heavy metal was first used in born to be wild so i think that is the origin to the name..

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

'I Wanna Be Your Dog' by The Stooges.

• Smiley
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Yeah, those sleigh bells just scream heavy metal ;)

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

"The Wizard"

EDIT

There are people who will say Budgie, there are people who will say Zepplin, there are those who think Blue Cheer, and many believe the side A of The Velvet underground's "White Light/White Heat" to be the first metal album. All of that is wrong, when you listen to the first Black Sabbath album.

No one came close. And not that early on. Not Yes on their self titled debut, not King Crimson on "In The Court Of The Crimson King", not Atomic Rooster, not Uriah Heap, and not Deep Purple.

Remember; Deep Purple's "Machine Head" wasnt released until 1972. Blue Oyster Cult didnt even release a debut until 1972 (despite being around since 1967 or 68) and didnt really turn heavy metal until "Tyranny And Mutation" (1973). Uriah Heep and Atomic Rooster were keyboard driven and didnt really count towards Heavy Metal (despite Uriah Heep being pretty heavy for rock standards at that time and for Atomic Rooster having some pretty dark lyrical themes).

The fact of the matter is, no one touched Black Sabbath in the realm of heaviness for many years. Not even Van Halen.

Source(s): 79
    • Smiley
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Deep Purple's In Rock was released 1970, and far "heavier" not to mention louder than Machine Head. Also, the first Lucifer's Friend (self titled) was released 1970. Every bit as heavy as some of Sabbath's earlier material. The debut by Uriah Heep deserves a nod (1970). But yeah, Sabbath takes it.

• 6 months ago

I always considered some of Jimi Hendrix's stuff early metal. Purple Haze especially.

• Zapata
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

Hendrix is the absolute essence of heavy rock music, but he ain't metal. Hendrix's music is more Blues based than metal is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.