Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Can I play fetch with my dog while her feet are healing?

It's just her back feet. The skin in between her toes is dark pink with small sores. I've been soaking them in baking soda. I'm pretty sure they are grass allergies, because the grass allergies are high were I live. Is it okay if we play fetch while they are healing? Could I atleast take her for a walk down the street?

• Jojo

My dog gets the same sort of thing in summer ( atopic dermatitis) and the vet recommended that I wash his paws after every walk, which I do religiously and I also give him one piriton tablet twice daily.

So far this summer (early on) he has had only 2 biggish sores which responded well to Neosporin antibiotic cream along with the washing. His paws are quite webbed and do look a bit red now and then between his toes but a twice daily application of D10 anti bacterial & anti fungal cream helps a lot.

This condition does not seem to bother him and no lameness or excessive licking, so I exercise him as normal. But the washing (in hibbiscrub) is essential.

He has been clear of any big eruptions now since beginning of April.

If your dog is not lame on her paws then its ok to exercise her as normal in my opinion. But do wash her paws thoroughly afterwards, as it really helps. Buy some hibbiscrub from the chemist or online and dilute it in water to wash your dogs paws.

If your dogs paws don`t improve with the above treatment then consult your vet.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years. (UK)

I would not. I would avoid aggravating her problem.

This dog needs a VET since you don't know what's going on. WTF??? You're horrible.

You might want to keep her off the grass; otherwise it should be okay, since the lesions are between the toes.

i would ask your vet about it

I think this is okay if the dog is feeling up to it. If the dog has obvious signs of pain or discomfort, just go home. Also, if the cause of the injury was the grass in the first place then I wouldn't let her go on the grass just yet...