JonZ
JonZ asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 months ago

Is this a sign of hope? The Progressives in the House and Senate have teamed with the Freedom Caucus to sponser a bill to require....?

....Congressional authorization for any military action against Iran:

On Tuesday, Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz and Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna will unveil an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act to codify congressional authorization for any military action against Iran.

Favorite Answer

I like it! If Trump can get the progressives and the Freedom Caucus to get together on something, even if it's against him, that's great. Maybe they'll REALLY get smart and get together to throw the bum out! 8^)

But it's not going to be easy for Congress to reclaim their constitutional power to declare war, after abandoning it for 70 years now. The way we get into wars these days in the president just invades on his own volition, then Congress is forced to vote to fund the war so they won't look unpatriotic. The bill you're talking about is a non-binding resolution, which means nothing really (though I'm happy to see it.)

Ro Khanna is my congressman! Yaaaaay! Go Ro!

I don't see what you think this would achieve. Democrats are pretty pro war. Iran is pushing America to do this.

• A.J.

Let's see if Grim Reaper McConnell buries it after the House passes it.

It doesn't look like a Trump signature law, so McConnell should bury it, and even if passing, override veto is really hard.

Congress cannot Constitutionally restrict the powers given to the executive branch of government.

Also... WHY are democrats/Rinos siding with the terrorists in Iran...again?

• Rowan

I haven't heard anything from Iran. You know why that is? They've set up every part of it so they can go to war and steal their oil. Like always. A sly bunch of psychopathic killers they are, and always were.

• Thomas CNSRV

YAWN.
      Russia gets Iran's oil, numbnutz!
      How much oil is Iraq pumping and giving it away FREE to the U.S.?
      You have been named...……..Dique of the Day!

Yes, especially coming from that Douche bag Matt Gaetz. Somehow I don't see Gaetz going against his Dear Leader.

• JonZ

I'm surprised too, but apparently Jim Jordan, Mark Meadows and other Senate Freedom Caucus members are behind it.