Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 6 months ago

Was this a right answer?

I had written a research paper about why we need to care for others, what does it mean to care in some fields, etc. When I gave my presentation, a professor asked whether we can care too much. I said something like, "No I don't think so, but if the other person (that we are caring for) don't want our care, we need to respect that too". Was this right? The prof was looking at me wide eyed and didn't say anything esle.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Usually, when professors ask such questions, they want a little more thought to be put in the answer than "No, I don't think so." And a lot could have been said on this point.

A strong argument can be made that being too concerned for the immediate well being or comfort of someone can lead you to hurt their ability to cope with problems further down the roads. It is the intuition behind Nietzsche's "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" or "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Another point could have been made regarding the value of truth. What if the only way to genuinely help someone is to tell them something that might unsettle, disturb, offend or even hurt them?

• 6 months ago

Yes, but he's his own viewpoint.

• 6 months ago

The question that is ALWAYS the core of any research is 'WHAT EVIDENCE'

Personal opinion has no place in research.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.