Atheist, would you tell a dying 4 year old with cancer there’s a heaven just to comfort them about having a short life?

Or would you smash their hopes and dreams like you do to everyone else?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

No, I wouldn't lie and assure them that there is a 'heaven'.

But if they asked me where they go when they die, I would tell them that they become a star up in the sky.

At least they know and can comprehend what a star is, and can physically see them. I believe that would be a much more realistic and 'cool' place for them to 'look forward' to ending up as being or going to, when the time comes..

Why complicate things even MORE for them by trying to explain a place to them (and how to supposedly get there etc) that doesn't exist?

• 6 months ago

I would never lie to someone who is dying, cancer or not!

Reveal the reality like do the doctors, allows people to prepare their things / legacies, once they are died.

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

And when do you tell your kid that Santa is a lie?

• Jas B
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes I probably would if I though it would bring them comfort.

I don't smash anyone's dreams, I respect everyone's right to their own beliefs as long as they respect mine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I would not tell the child about heaven, because I'm not a hyprocrite. I would probably tell them that their pain will soon go away and they'll be having a peaceful sleep. BTW, if believers have their hopes and dreams "smashed" because of what atheists say on this forum, then they are not very strong in their faith.

• 6 months ago

Yes. I would lie to the 4 year old to make them feel better. The same way the bible lies to people and makes them feel better about this life of purpose, when we really have none.

• 6 months ago

I'd probably spend whatever time he/she had left trying to make that time comfortable and as enjoyable as possible rather than discussing their eventual death and what may or may not happen afterward.

If it pleased the child to hear there is a heaven, then I'd say there was, but it wouldn't be something I'd dwell on.

• 6 months ago

Awwww, does someone got a sore bottom cuz of atheists? Did you wuse your binkie?

No, I would not lie to a 4 year old about heaven. I would not want to tell him he's going to be with the one who either have him the cancer or failed to heal him of it.

• 6 months ago

that is a false dichotomy.

• Who gave the kid cancer?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.