What do they do with money if you don't get your deposit back?

My cats have destroyed pretty much all the blinds. The cat deposit was $300 and I think our deposit was the same, maybe $500 or so?

Anyways, are they supposed to take that to replace things, or do they just take it and charge you more? The maintenance guys here have all said that the cheap blinds they use, they will charge the tenants $25 each to replace. Some blinds just up and broke while I was pulling them down and I wasn't charged because the guy replacing them vouched for me and said they were old as hell anyway.

So *should* they use the deposit money for replacing things? If I'm honest and say my cat destroyed them, will that be ok?

*We don't care about getting it back, we just want to get out of here.

Update:

And when I say "destroyed, what I mean is, they knocked a few of the long things out and chewed the strings a bit, they aren't like, demolished or anything, LOL.

Update 2:

Sorry, something else. A lot of the apartments that people have moved out of in the last 6 months all have newer blinds, not these same ones we have. I shouldn't have to pay for those if they are replacing them with completely different ones, right? That's THEIR choice.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Best Answer

They are supposed to charge the cost to fix the damage, including installation.

• 5 months ago

They charge for the cost of returning the unit to how it was when you got it. Whether or not they have to do the work varies by state.

• 5 months ago

Yes, that is the purpose of the security deposit(s).

• 5 months ago

The PURPOSE of a security deposit is to help cover the cost of REPAIRING the damages. Legally, they can only keep the portion of the deposit SPENT to make repairs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Amy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, they'll use your deposit to pay for replacing the blinds and repairing any other damage they find.

If it really only costs $25 (including labor), they should give you the rest of the deposit back.

• 5 months ago

They figure out the cost of all repairs and unpaid bill and unpaid rent and all; and total that up. They take that out of your deposit and send you the rest. If the cost is more than the deposit then they may just write it off as a loss if it isn't that much or they may send you a bill and may or may not take you to court for anything you won't pay.

The deposit money they keep just goes into one account, one big pot, for most expenses and deposits.

• 5 months ago

They will hit you for the value of all damages.

Sounds like you are cool with maintenance...find out where they buy them and order some. Then, when they try to charge you...show them your receipt for brand new blinds of the exact same type...

• They have a whole stockpile in a shed, with screens and everything. The guy who replaced my blinds said they are running out of the older ones because they are updating to newer ones.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

After having cats living there they have to do a deep cleaning because cats smell and shed.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Have you considered going to the home improvement store and buying replacement cheap blinds that you install right before you leave, so the cat has no chance to ruin them? If you get the same kind that are damaged, you can use the existing mounting hardware.

Otherwise, the cost of the blinds will come out of the collective $800 deposit you put down, for cat and humans. Most often pet deposits are used for deep cleaning to remove pet odors and for repairs to damage no human would do, like claw marks on doors where dogs live.

It won't really matter to the landlord how the blinds were damaged, just that they are.

• Ok, another issue I didn't mention, which I will, is that the maintenance guys are also saying that when old tenants move out, they are replacing all blinds with something else, not what we have now. That's another reason why I just want to make sure.

• Stoo
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Deposit means a downpayment on damage done. If you or your cats have caused more than $300 damage, they can bill you for anything beyond reasonable wear and tear.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.