What do they do with money if you don't get your deposit back?

My cats have destroyed pretty much all the blinds. The cat deposit was $300 and I think our deposit was the same, maybe $500 or so? Anyways, are they supposed to take that to replace things, or do they just take it and charge you more? The maintenance guys here have all said that the cheap blinds they use, they... show more My cats have destroyed pretty much all the blinds. The cat deposit was $300 and I think our deposit was the same, maybe $500 or so?

Anyways, are they supposed to take that to replace things, or do they just take it and charge you more? The maintenance guys here have all said that the cheap blinds they use, they will charge the tenants $25 each to replace. Some blinds just up and broke while I was pulling them down and I wasn't charged because the guy replacing them vouched for me and said they were old as hell anyway.

So *should* they use the deposit money for replacing things? If I'm honest and say my cat destroyed them, will that be ok?

*We don't care about getting it back, we just want to get out of here.
Update: And when I say "destroyed, what I mean is, they knocked a few of the long things out and chewed the strings a bit, they aren't like, demolished or anything, LOL.
Update 2: Sorry, something else. A lot of the apartments that people have moved out of in the last 6 months all have newer blinds, not these same ones we have. I shouldn't have to pay for those if they are replacing them with completely different ones, right? That's THEIR choice.