My mother in law's cat is now occasionally sleeping in her litter box. What should we do?

Her cat, Ruby is 17 years old and has been in sound health her whole life and just keeps to herself most of the time. But in the last week or so she's been sleeping in her litter.

Wow! 17 years old? She 8 years over her 9. Is she still breathing? You haven't checked? Aw! Come on JBP. ;-( enjoy your BA. ;-)

She's SICK, obviously. Get it to the VET. WTF? Why are you even asking this pointless question?

• Laura

This is a sign that your cat isn't feeling well.

She should go to the vet. Older cats need to go to the vet more often than just once a year for standard wellness visits.

I don't mean to be the bringer of bad news to you but this is a characteristic sign that your cat is getting ready to die. This is your cat's way of saying to you I'm getting ready to die and when I die throw me away with the litter. I wish I could give you better news but this is quite characteristics in cats

When mine did that it was a urinary blockage that needed antibiotics. Get the cat to a vet in the next day or two, before this goes on longer and you pass the time of fixing.