Anonymous

EDD approved me for unemployment benefits after I was terminated?

I was terminated due to no fault of my own and EDD saw this and is giving me my benefits. The employer told me I was laid off, so I put laid off when I filled out EDD. than they had me pending for a phone interview because the employer told them I was terminated and I knew I didn't do anything wrong or neglectful so I did the phone interview and they awarded me my benefits. the question is was this employer actually fighting this? and will he now get a letter from EDD saying they awarded me my benefits that he was wrong? does he know I am getting my EDD. ?

I just want him to know I was approved .

In all cases, as far as I know, the Unemployment office always contacts the employer to make sure the employee was terminated, and didn't quit.

The employer isn't told he was 'wrong.' They aren't going to force him to take you back, if that's what you're thinking. If an employee is let go the employer pays, unless it was for cause (sexual harassment, safety violations, etc) The interview with the employer is SOP

He will know. EDD tells the employer the outcome, and the employer's reserve account gets charged based on the number of former employees getting unemployment benefits from EDD.

Terminated means you no longer work there.

The reasons for your termination is a lay off.

EDD (California Unemployment) does phone interviews with almost everyone. The primary exception is lay offs governed by the WARN Act.

• Judy

yes he knows you''re getting benefits

If the employer and yourself was present on the unemployment interview and you got your unemployment benefits it's over you have your benefits it's not going to be contested.

yes, he will be informed. He will receive a notice of benefits awarded, though it won't say how much.