Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 6 months ago

Law&Police. A cop gave me a ticket illegally for double parking, but it was ok to do that because I had my 4way flashers on. Can I beat it?

I'm 19 and I have been driving for almost a year now so I have a lot of experience driving.

Yes I was double parked for like maybe 5-10 minutes, but I had my 4 way flashers on which makes it 100% legal to do that because that is what the flashers are FOR.

A semi truck went around my car with no problem, yet this cop had a hissy fit and gave me an illegal ticket when it was perfectly legal to do what I did. The parking limit was 30 minutes so I could have stayed longer if I wanted.

Can I go to court and win?

If so, how much will they have to pay me since he was the person in the wrong?

• Angie
    Favorite Answer

Your emergency flashers do not permit you to violate traffic laws. By your reasoning, people would be able to legally run red lights, stop signs, and speed so long as they are using their emergency flashers. Your emergency flashers are there to alert other drivers of a potentially hazardous situation such as unusually slowed traffic, roadway obstructions, disabled vehicle, etc. By you using your emergency flashers, you were communicating that either your vehicle was disabled or that there was some other type of potential traffic hazard, neither of which were the case. You justly received the citation. Of course, you have the option of fighting the citation, but as others have already pointed out, the likelihood of you winning is slim to none. If I were in your situation, I would go to court and tell the judge that I made a mistake, and am not contesting the ticket. I would then ask if he would consider some type of probation in order to avoid the ticket going onto my driving record. Example: You go an entire year with no other traffic infractions, and the judge will have the ticket removed from your driving record. Some judges will agree to this, other do not. All you can do is ask.

• `

" I have been driving for almost a year now so I have a lot of experience driving. " You're an experienced driver, alright. You just admitted you illegally double parked. Just pay the fine.

What you did was illegally double park on the street and received a ticket as a result. Not even using flashers would make you immune from an illegal parking violation. You should have found a proper place to park your car instead. Sure you can fight the ticket, but you'll lose. Just pay whatever the fine is and move on.

There is no law that you can double park if you turn your flasher on. Can you beat the ticket? I doubt it.

How much will YOU be awarded? Nothing. Courts don't reward stupidity.

• audrey

Flashers do not mean you can break the law. Pay up.

You realize that all putting your 4 ways on accomplishes is drawing attention to the fact that you're parked illegally, right?

Flashers are for EMERGENCIES. Needing to park and not being willing to walk a few feet from a legal parking spot is NOT an emergency.

You were wrong. Deal with it. Pay the ticket.

Flashers do NOT give you immunity to parking offenses. Plead ignorance and the judge might reduce your fine.