Anonymous

How do people really feel about interracial relationships/marriages?

I am a nurse and a few days ago I was looking at a wedding magazine with an older patient, there were gay couples, Asian couples and white couples in the magazine and she didn’t say anything but the second I flipped the page to an interracial couple she flipped out saying “why would they ever put that in a magazine what a disgrace that is so wrong”

I really couldn’t believe it. My parents are black/white my grandparents are black/white and many of my friends are in black/white relationships. I am a mixed race girl and only date white men..

I just have to wonder why is it that people have such a problem with mixed race marriages and if you would be ok with your child bringing home someone of a different race

I think your patient, if you are actually a nurse, provided you with the answer - some people are very opposed to interracial marriage and the feelings about it run the entire gamut.

• Brian

Her views offended you, understandably so given your own background, however there are two things to take on board, if shes older she grew up in a very different time, and i would guess our generation will seem prejudice about some subject or other to the next generation, transgender people for example will probably be where gay people are today in about 20 years from now in terms of sizable public acceptance, i still struggle with the idea myself and i'm not old, none the less i except people right to live as they wish to live their own life and in no way condone bullying, or ill tratmwnt of a person who is transgeneder.The second point would be, thats her view, how you live is up to you, yes she was imposing her views on you and i would hate that myself but ultimately you have one life, your own, she has had most of hers, we all live our own way.Lastly i would add, that it sounds like you only think of black-White relationships as inter-racial, correct me if i'm wrong, White-Asian have there own struggles.

• Zirp

the 17th century pseudoscientific hypothesis that humans come in a handful of races was proven wrong in the 1950's. The same research explained why the "lebensborn" eugenics-program of the nazis had failed to produce superior babies

Yes, one person means all people.

When I was a teenager in the 1980s, I “brought home” a non-white girlfriend. I wondered how my mother would react, given she grew up in a white Europeans town. She didn’t care one iota what colour she was, just that she was a decent person (she was mixed race).

Give people more credit. Everyone isn’t an idiot.