My landlord is demanding i pay for a new water heater after his insurance refused to cover it because he has no flood insurance?

The basement flooded in massive rain storms and it took out the water heater. I contacted my landlord about it as soon as it happened. He tried to file a claim with his insurance, but it wasn't covered. Now he said I need to pay for it or he isn't replacing it because I can live without hot water. I... show more The basement flooded in massive rain storms and it took out the water heater. I contacted my landlord about it as soon as it happened. He tried to file a claim with his insurance, but it wasn't covered. Now he said I need to pay for it or he isn't replacing it because I can live without hot water.

I live in ohio. I know we can escrow our rent at the courthouse if the landlord isn't making necessary repairs, but I don't know if a hot water heater counts as a necessary repair. Can I escrow my rent if he refuses to repair the water heater?

I'm certainly not willing to pay for damage caused by the weather since I have no control of that.