Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 5 months ago

Are fetal Doppler safe to use?

I bought a fetal Doppler last night and one of my aunts is now telling me she read an article that they aren’t safe to use because it causes brain damage in the fetus

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

Exactly what MissA said. When used AS NEEDED by a medical professional who knows how to use them, and how to interpret the results, they are considered a safe medical tool with benefits that far outweigh any tiny potential risk.

When used at home by laypeople who have no idea what they are doing -- they are likely to cause unnecessary anxiety and can lead to unecessary office visits and tests.

You are getting regular prenatal care. IF your doctor or midwife feels that you need more frequent monitoring, she will recommend and arrange it. You don't need to be checking your baby's heartbeat 6 times a day with a home doppler. (Which IS what you are going to do if you have one.)

They are used by medical professionals as needed.

There is never a need to have one at home unless your doctor has recommended one (in which case he/she will also show you how to use it). And that's extremely unlikely. If you qualify for extra monitoring, it will almost certainly be done in-office by a trained professional.

If you choose to keep it, just know that your doctor is going to flag your chart. Every single pregnant woman who comes in and says "I was listening on my home Doppler..." ends up being a problem.

Can you imagine the lawsuits if that were true?

No company would want to sell them.

• MissA

The main reason not to use a fetal doppler is that you have not been trained in its use and so you won't know how to correctly use it or to interpret the results. This can give you inaccurate reassurance, or make you panic that something is wrong for no reason.

Fetal dopplers are probably safe. However they do produce some short term heating of the tissues and can cause cavitation (tiny bubbles) when used incorrectly. Having one at home allows you to use it much more frequently than using it at your doctor's, and thus increases the possibility of harm if there is any.

• LizB

You know what types of patients get the *most* ultrasounds? Fertility patients, women who have a history of pregnancy loss, and women with high-risk pregnancies. If fetal dopplers and ultrasound scans were dangerous in any way, don't you think medical professionals who care for the most at-risk pregnant patients would have figured it out by now?

• Kelly

My MIL is an OB/GYN and she says home ones are safe but not near as accurate.