is it wrong for a supervisor of los angeles sheriff station to tell sheriffs no speaking spanish to each other at the station?

he said if they are not doing business with people that comes into the station or people that call the station there is no need to speak spanish

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not wrong if he insists that other language speakers (Chinese, Russian, Farsi, etc) also speak English when around other police officers. English is the common language that all officers have to be able to speak. Unity among the officers is gained by looking alike, thinking alike, and speaking the same language.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Liar. That would be illegal. They have interpreters. They can have an interpreter on the phone really quick.

I misread that, I thought you were a member of the public. If not, the union would deal with it quickly. So, same result either way.

• COMPTON
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

what are you talking about? what does an interpreter has to do with sheriffs talking to each other

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Wrong is a moral conclusion. It is not illegal.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes. If the employees are not talking business, nor to a Spanish speaking member of the public, they can speak in whatever language they want. I am amused at people who say "they could be talking about ME". (They probably aren't.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Why are so many Americans so afraid of other languages? It is common in other parts of the world for people to speak many languages, and here we are fighting to only have to ever hear just the one. So weird, to fight for LESS knowledge.

• melouofs
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I didn't miss the point. They clearly need to be able to speak english to obtain the job, but having a casual conversation with a colleague doesn't make any difference as to which language it's in.

• 6 months ago

Wrong and illegal.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

He is correct......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.