Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 5 months ago

What to say to my BF’s mom who’s mother is sick?

My BF says she is taking it hard. What would be the good / appropriate words of encouragement to her.

Just let her know that you'll be there for her for whatever she needs. A lot of people just need to know that they have support.

• Foofa

Never ask for specifics on how her health is progressing but do offer to help in any way she might need. Text her every time you're headed to a store to see if you can pick anything up for her. Offer to do a load of laundry or tidy the house up for her.

• Kelly

Talk to her like you normally would and/or ask if she needs help with anything.

When someone is battling a serious illness you will often here how they find it patronizing or unsettling how people feel sorry for them and treat them different. Talking about their illness especially with someone who maybe hasn't been through anything similar can also be kind of depressing.

My friend is making breast cancer look easy, despite I know it isn't. She seldom talks about her illness. Here and there I'll ask how treatment is going. Truth is, I don't know how she feels I haven't had cancer or any serious illness. She likes to focus on the positive.

• Jason

seriously? you cant think of a single thing to say? good grief..how about "sorry to hear about your mother, how's she doing?"

"I'm sorry your mother is sick" seems to be appropriate.