Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

How can I learn to be better at talking to people?

Whenever I have any type of conversation, I involuntarily clam up. Then, later, I think of stuff I could have said. It drives me nuts. How can I become good at speaking to people? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Blearg
    Favorite Answer

Improv classes, journalling, listening to good conversations on interview podcasts...

Toastmasters is for public speaking, which doesn't seem quite the same. From what you've described I really get that imptov techniques in particular might help you bridge the gap you're struggling with between your thoughts and getting them out in time. I also think that writing, talking, or thinking out your thoughts and feelings on some popular or favorite subjects could help. I know for me, the people who have been most impressed by my conversation skills have happened to bring up a topic I have studied and thought about a lot on my own. I have so many ideas that if I think them up right there, it is hard to describe. But if I've taken the time to intellectually explore the subject beforehand, I already know how to express the ideas and how to segway between different points more smoothly.

just practice talking talking to people rnore

It just came with time for me. I think I reached a point in my mid twenties where I just didn't care anymore.

Listen - really llisten - to what the other person is saying. Don't just sit there with your mouth open ready to jump in and say something. Let them finish; think briefly about what they said. SOMETHING must come to your mind, so say it.

And again, LISTEN to their reply

• Mark

Try Toastmasters meetings.

The way to become a good conversationalist is to listen a lot and ask questions. You see, people love to talk about themselves. The more they talk, the more interesting you become.