Iris asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 6 months ago

Can very small male canines viably breed with much larger females?

To give an example of what I'm talking about: if you had a male chihuahua and a female irish wolfhound, would you be able to successfully breed the two and receive viable offspring? This isn't about natural insemination specifically (the size difference would make that awkward, if not impossible), or about the effects on things like litter size, but just about the reproduction between breeds of such large size differences and the ability of the resulting offspring to continue the species (at all, not necessarily with regards to either parent breed).

I'm trying to learn about the viability of reproduction between small dog breeds and large ones, but Google isn't particularly helpful; it provides a wealth of information regarding the obvious and obscure reasons a very small female could not reproduce with a much larger male (both regarding the complications of an attempted natural insemination and the physiological limitations regarding pregnancy), but is strangely tight-lipped regarding the reverse.

• Zirp

if they manage to mate, yes

With a ramp, it's possible.

• oikoσ

Yes, although it doesn't happen naturally; somebody has to put the male up to it.

Yes, through artifical insemination, they can breed.

All dog breeds can breed (genetically).

I mean, a horse and donkey (two different species) can breed to produce a hybrid (sterile) ***/mule (depending which is the species is the female).

Same goes with domestic cats and wild cats. So any two dog species are genetically similar enoigh to breed. But whether/how many morphological problems the offspring has may be an issue. I don't know for a fact, but I should imagine there will be breed combinations that will lead to health problems (just at a guessed example, cardiac/circulatory problems breeding a huge breed with a small one may be a thing). That's excluding issues with pedigree breeds, which are definitively heritable.