How do I deal with a political co-worker?

He's good at the politics game, is the kind of worker that will know how to undermine competition, take undeserved credit, steal ideas, or run off with people's work and "complete" it once most of the work has already been done. He tries to get anything and everything that will give him credit... show more He's good at the politics game, is the kind of worker that will know how to undermine competition, take undeserved credit, steal ideas, or run off with people's work and "complete" it once most of the work has already been done.

He tries to get anything and everything that will give him credit and ignores rest of the work.

He bullies to neutralize competition.

Every single project that I try to get involved with to better my career, the guy snaps it from me if it benefits him, he does this with politics.

How do I deal with that? I have no idea if the guy is successful because he's just started and is in same position as me. It must have not worked at other places, but here he's putting it all in and it's just been exhausting. I don't want to quit. I love my job, I'm paid good, but I feel that he's sticking his foot and making my job more difficult any chance he can or or limiting my possibilities of advancement.