Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 6 months ago

Why isn’t there a stigma against people who are addicted to cigarettes the same way there is one against people addicted to weed or alcohol?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

One of my friends started smoking weed at 12

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

First off, "weed" isn't addictive but potheads who are just habitually obsessed are poked fun at. Nicotine meanwhile doesn't cause people to kill others in car crashes, to start bar brawls or to exhibit the kind of behavior one often sees when alcohol is involved.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Well, there is. If you don't know that, you don't spend much time among the 80% of people who don't smoke and don't want to be anywhere near cigarette smoke.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Tobacco doesn't affect your ability to drive safely, or make you aggressive like alcohol can.

In the 1950's, 90% of the male population smoked.

the stigma around weed stems from it being declared illegal, and it making you unfit for battle.

There is no "stigma" around tobacco, but at least we now acknowledge that it harms the health of people around the smoker, causes some people to have trouble breathing and that it can trigger heart-attacks.

Cannabis can have positive effects, but most people prone to psychoses or depressions are definitely better off without it

• Nigel6 months agoReport

BAKAR BAKEKUCHIRA,
      BAKAR JEWS TILL VANISH EVEN THEY DONT DARE TO RUN WHEN MOTHER NATURE BURNING ISRAEL TO ASHES FOR 2ND MOON SURVIVAL.
      https://m.vk.com/wall519091887_14

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • steve
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Smoking is generally frowned upon these day but the big difference between cigarettes and drugs or alcohol is cigarettes do not alter the behaviour of the user.

Someone who is drunk or high might get unpredictable and violent. Hence the social stigma.

Smoking does not aggravate the smoker into such behaviour.

As for weed I do not think there is a stigma. Every few months we hear about a new state or country legalising the personal use of cannabis.

I personally think cannabis should be legalised globally and everyone including politicians should be forced to smoke it. The world would be a far more laid back and safer place.

• P.L.
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

In the U.K. these days smoking is considered quite disgusting and many people refuse to sit near a smoker on a train, in a cafe etc. However very many places now ban smoking so that problem might, in time, solve itself and less people will smoke as time goes on.

• steve
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

You are obviously not from the UK or haven't been out since 2007. Smoking is banned on all public transport and in all buildings. So I doubt in the following 17 years you ever came across anyone on a train or café smoking.

• 6 months ago

There are people that don't like smokers at all!

But because cigarettes and things like nicotine vape and coffee and tea don't produce a euphoric behavior. People think that these drugs are totally safe and they permit them as regular parts of their life.

BAKAR BAKEKUCHIRA,
      BAKAR JEWS TILL VANISH EVEN THEY DONT DARE TO RUN WHEN MOTHER NATURE BURNING ISRAEL TO ASHES FOR 2ND MOON SURVIVAL.

• 6 months ago

Uhmm there 100% is a stigma towards people who smoke cigarettes and I would

Probably go as far as saying it is worse.

• 6 months agoReport

Cigs are smelly, that’s all I got

• 6 months ago

There is where i live. Some major cities in my area have banned the sale of cigarettes all together. San Francisco is going to try to pass an ordinance to ban cig sales next election too

BAKAR BAKEKUCHIRA,

• Fuhr
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

It's your life. If your addiction isn't affecting others, party on!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.