HOW DO YOU SELL ITEMS ONLINE WITHOUT PAYING A HIGH PRICE FOR SHIPPING?

I was wondering how to sell items on different websites like Depop, Mercari, etc.

I noticed some people sell items for about $5-$12 and they sell and post items like every hour. When I tried to sell a top for $5 I only got $1 and for the shipping I payed $40!!! That’s EXPENSIVE more than how much I received. I basically scammed myself lol. I still want to sell items but every time I try to research about it, nothing come up or if it does, it’s confusing. I just need to know how to sell items and get payed the price I sold it for and how to SHIP the items for a lower price than how much I pay out of pocket. It’s making me so confused and I feel like I’m doing something wrong. Please help if you’re familiar with this!! And what kind of place should I go to, to ship the items.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Shipping costs what shipping costs. If you paid $40 you're oing something wrong.

• 5 months ago

How would a fabric top cost $40 to ship? Talk to the post office. Even in a box it should run you only $6.

The US Post office has a calculation chart online. https://postcalc.usps.com/

• John
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

>tried to sell a top for $5 I only got $1 and for the shipping I payed $40!!!

Stop right now.

• 5 months ago

Firstly, restrict where you will ship to, to your own country or include different shipping charges for different countries/regions.

Always work out the final packed weight of items will be, before listing them for sale - and add the appropriate amount for shipping / postage in the item listing.

Things may not sell as fast, but you will not lose out when they do sell. And, it using an auction rather than fixed price, the shipping charge you set gets added in no matter how little the item sells for.

Look at both post office prices and for shipping agents & price comparison site online to see what the best options are.

I don't know any specific ones in the USA but here in England there are sites such as "Parcel2go", where you enter the destination, weight and size of an item and it shows the cost for all of the possible shipping companies, and they can sometimes vary in price by literally ten to one for the same item to the same place!

There are a few comparison sites listed in this page, try them and see if they are worthwhile.

https://zapier.com/blog/compare-shipping-rates/

One thing you need to be aware of, than many new sellers do not realise - by law and by ebay rules, you (the sender) are legally responsible for anything you sell until it is received by the buyer.

That means if anything is lost or damaged in the post/shipping, the buyer can claim the money back and you lose everything. (In law, any carrier you use is technically your employee/subcontractor for that job, so you still have responsibility for their actions).

If an item is worth a significant amount, always use an insured and signed-for delivery method. That means you get your money back if there is any problem.

It also avoids trouble with the small number of scammers who buy then claim things have not been received so they do not have to pay for them. With insurance & signature, they have to argue that with a big company rather than with you!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

By delivering in person...or figuring out your shipping costs before pricing your items...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.