HOW DO YOU SELL ITEMS ONLINE WITHOUT PAYING A HIGH PRICE FOR SHIPPING?

I was wondering how to sell items on different websites like Depop, Mercari, etc. I noticed some people sell items for about $5-$12 and they sell and post items like every hour. When I tried to sell a top for $5 I only got $1 and for the shipping I payed $40!!! That’s EXPENSIVE more than how much I received. I... show more I was wondering how to sell items on different websites like Depop, Mercari, etc.
I noticed some people sell items for about $5-$12 and they sell and post items like every hour. When I tried to sell a top for $5 I only got $1 and for the shipping I payed $40!!! That’s EXPENSIVE more than how much I received. I basically scammed myself lol. I still want to sell items but every time I try to research about it, nothing come up or if it does, it’s confusing. I just need to know how to sell items and get payed the price I sold it for and how to SHIP the items for a lower price than how much I pay out of pocket. It’s making me so confused and I feel like I’m doing something wrong. Please help if you’re familiar with this!! And what kind of place should I go to, to ship the items.