promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 11 months ago

Why are appliances sold like this nowadays?

I bought a toaster 2 years ago, and now the text wore off the dials and buttons and I have to guess how to use it. I ended up getting frustrated to a point where I tossed it and bought a new one.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It was made to go obsolete so you have to buy another one. It's called planned obsolescence.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Planned obsolescence. It served GM well for awhile until Americans got sick of them and they moved to China. Why they once made them to last a long time, I don't know..

• 11 months ago

Well why did you let the text wear off the dials and buttons? You might have taken steps to fix that before just tossing it out. Anyway, it was made the cheapest way possible, which is why such things happen.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Because it’s cheaper to make a decal than to engrave the markings into the material.

Ironically, mine has a pseudo digital display where the “7 segment LED” numbers are backlit with a light and turn with the knobs. But I just checked now and you can literally wipe the text off the buttons. :0

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

making them as cheaply as possible is all that counts for SOME markets ..............

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Take a picture of the dials for future reference.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Don't buy cheap appliances. I've had a toaster oven for 10 years with no noticeable change in the dials.

• 11 months agoReport

It was Hamilton Beach

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.