Can landlords come into your home whenever they please?

So my landlord knows I work the night shift. I work from 10pm-7am, Monday-saturday. Yesterday she came to my home at 4pm, she was knocking at the door and ringing the doorbell. I sleep from 2pm-8pm

She knows this! She comes to my home and causes me to lose sleep.... I answer the door and said "Can I help you?" and she goes "I just wanted to drop off your new lease papers." you couldn't put them in my mailbox?!?! you couldn't tape them to my door?? you couldn't stop up at a different time, or mail them to me??? I barely get enough sleep as It is with work and school...

I then reminded her saying "I'm asleep at this house. As you know, I work nights".... She then says "Next time I'll just use a key" Seriously??? is that allowed? Is there no such thing as privacy anymore?

Edit: Spelling. Meant to say "Asleep at this HOUR"

No, not legal in the USA. Under the "common law of property" the tenant has the exclusive right to enjoy the property without interference of the landlord. Many US states have compromised this right by enacting statutes granting landlords limited rights to enter a tenant's private home without their consent, but always require at least "reasonable notice". Some states even enacted statutes that specify what is "reasonable" (e.g., 24 hours, 48 hours, certain times of day, etc). Some states also permit tenants to "agree" to other terms of entry by the landlord by way of a written lease.

For comparison, the NH law says, "No landlord shall willfully enter into the premises of the tenant without prior consent, other than to make emergency repairs." RSA 540-A:3.

No.

For something like this, they need Reasonable notice. If you have a sign, " day sleeper" that is NOT reasonable.

Last time my Apt. Mgr. wanted to give me a "notice", just taped it to door. It was a blast of ****, anyway. Same mgr. also threatened "inspection". Inspections are Illegal. Period.

LL or Mgr Cannot enter your dwelling without:

1) 24 hr notice at YOUR ok

OR:

2) An emergency

This is the Same in all 50 states plus DC.

Source(s): REF: 2 Real estate lawyers in two states. CA is more liberal towards the tenant.
    • Nuff Sed

Not necessarily "the same in all 50 states". Some require more than 24 hours notice. Some require consent of the tenant, other than extremely limited exceptions, or in an emergency (which they would have to prove in court when you sue them).

???????????????????

• martin

Probably just forgive her. She sounds like she forgot you sleep days and work nights, or is just too dumb for her own good.

It's not allowed, but she evidently doesn't realize there are restrictions on her entering the premises. You may have to edumacate her about it.

No, she can't just randomly let herself in. You would need to check terms of your lease and local laws to determine what her specific restrictions are.

She does sound like a real *****.

• kelvin

no they can't and they need 24 hours notice before they show up

Most states require advanced notice. Google "landlord tenant laws" and your state's name for details.

• Jolene

A lot depends on where you live. Most places do not allow this. The landlord has to give you notice before they can come in, except if there is an emergency. Check your lease.

Ask her to tape them to your door.

Or sue them. You'd lose but who cares about losing? You have a point to make.