If you do not believe everything in the Bible should be followed as written, how do you pick and choose what should be followed?

Best Answer

A person who claims to follow any specific deity is then responsible to carry out the commands of that deity, lest they chance pissing their deity off.

FYI, that's a bad idea.

Different deities have revealed their precise wills in different ways. The more 'involved' the deity is in the everyday life of humans, the more specific the commands and revelations will be. Wiccans have their Rede, Hindus have a collection of writings that I can't spell (sorry), Satanists have their own Book, Mormons have a few books, Islam has the Quran, Jews have the Torah, Christians have the Bible and the Church.

I refuse to believe that Christians are the only wishy-washy people on the face of the Earth. Waffling is a human trait, not a 'Christian' one.

When people waffle on the teachings of their chosen religion, they do so because the original teachings are inconvenient for them. The more studious of the waffle-makers will try to whitewash their actions and their theology, but they aren't really kidding anybody.

You either believe in the revelation of your deity....or you don't. If you DON'T LIKE some aspect of your faith's teachings, then do some research. Do you really understand it? What is its purpose? Is it something your God really wants you to do (or avoid doing)? Where does the commandment sit in the hierarchy of commandments? This is important if you are addressing a seeming conflict, either internal or external.

Ultimately, what does GOD really want from YOU?

If you don't like what you have found (after careful inquiry) you have 2 choices (IMHO)

1. Suck it up and deal and submit.

2. Leave the faith.

Remember, you don't have to explain yourself to the rest of us. You have to explain your actions to God. Not just *any* God...YOUR God.

Or are YOU really God? There's the question.

Satanic Bible is much better

It is very true that many things in the Bible are difficult to believe.I myself believe the Bible to be the Word of God..The things I don't understand I leave with God.It is also true that none of the translations are without error.

The original writings were inspired by God Himself.None of the original writings are available exist any more.

No doubt some of the latest versions are perversions and we should be careful with them.

I ask God every day to be my guide.

Read the verses in context.

That is a matter of study with regard to "time and place", with regard to the "covenants". You need to understand to which covenant we are amenable. Jeremiah 31:31, Matthew 26:28

• Very simple!

The sacred Bible is, the word of God, it must be observed for one's life, if in some things one cannot, one must pray to God, it is He, who will give belief, that what is safe!

First of all, everything written in the Bible should not be followed. And I choose to follow what God says to follow. But first one must know how to rightly divide the Word of God.

• MamaBear

You just neatly showed the need for an impartial authority on what the Bible teaches, and what it doesn't. Thanks, Susie!

Much of it is allegory and metaphor. It contains a great deal of wisdom and truths.

I follow the institution that Jesus gave us on Earth, which was NOT the Bible. I follow the magisterium of the Catholic Church. But I want to also be clear that it's not that the magisterium teaches which parts of the Bible "should be followed as written;" it's that the magisterium teaches us WHAT is written.

I practice only the things my mommy taught me to practice.

Only false Christians practice anything different.