Why is my car overheating?

I was driving home last night and wasn’t paying attention like a dummy. Trying to plug in my phone and whatnot. I was in a neighborhood when I ran onto some grass and hit those thin, orange highlighter cone things that people keep in their yard. Didn’t notice any problems until I got home and my car was overheated, engine light came on, and said I needed an oil change. Drove fine, didn’t hear any unusual noises. Was too tired to figure out the problem so I waiting until morning. I went outside this morning to face reality. Oil all over the ground and is at 0 percent. The car overheats fairly quick. Less than 5 mins. I didn’t see any smoke coming from the hood or anything. There’s coolant in there as well. If you can please help

Forget 'bout it. Your car is fine. Oh, by the way, find a different way home. Your neighbor is probably pissed. You don't want to fix his lawn.

Sounds like you hit the oil pan and have no oil in the motor.

Running a motor when you see oil all over the ground makes you an idiot.

So it spilled all the oil? That's bad. I had an engine do that and it was definitely terminal, although I tried to keep it filled. It limped along for X miles where it dropped dead & I changed the engine then and there. Exercising a Mechanic's Domain.

This is your karma for hitting and running the orangey things. Start it up again and see if it takes 5 minutes to over heat again. That is what I would do.

• don r

You wrecked your car. Do not try to run the engine. Tow it to a repair shop to be fixed. I can't help you. You should have learned to drive.

Not the oil change light, but low oil pressure light. Engine overheated due to lack of oil. Engine is fried. Texting while driving, haha.

• Lv 5

Also oil cooler line can be broken.

• JetDoc

Nobody here can help you. Skippy. You broke your car and you'll need to have it towed to a shop where they can make repairs. DO NOT try to run the engine if it has no oil in it!

Do not start your car under any circumstance you will destroy your engine! You have punctured your oil pan! the five minutes that you ran your car without oil didn't do it one little bit of good! Get yourself some carburetor spray to clean your oil pan outside where you punctured it and some of that JB weld two-part steel paste clean away any of the oil from the hole that you made with the carburetor spray and sandpaper the crap out of the pan where you're going to put the instant steel. Spray it with carburetor spray again and dry it with rag mix up some instant steel. And put it in the hole . Drive your car with oil in it of course tell mechanic that can braze or mig TIG weld a proper plug in the hole.

It's pain in the butt to replace the oil pan if you can find one at a junkyard but you can drain the oil out and mig weld the hole that you put in it. You may also have been the oil pan out of shape and oil is leaking out of it

• Lv 5

Some pans Easy to replace, Gives no Y/M/M.

Broken engine from hitting obstacles. Your crankcase has a break and is leaking oil. Or if lucky, the external oil cooler is broken. Sometimes those are part of the radiator, which is also broken and leaking. Reason why you have 0 percent oil is because it is gone. Now engine will seize (stop) as bearings die. Also overheats from lack of cooling fluid. DO NOT TURN IT ON!!!! Call a tow truck and get it to a repair shop or dealership.

• Kiara6 months agoReport

Okay, the coolant is leaking too but immediately as soon as I pour it in it leaks out really fast. You can just see it flowing out

I would check to see if you have any oil. don't run it...unless you already have...in that case, you can do as you like as long as it let you. It may be wrecked.