Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Why do people sometimes refer to their parents as their folks?

My best friend always refers to his parents as his folks..I don't think it's a cultural thing because he and I both grew up in Las Vegas. I always say parents.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • drip
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Even though you grew up in the same city it still can be cultural. I grew up near Chicago and have many southern colloquiums in my language. My mom is from Kentucky and her whole family still lives there. Her and our trips visiting family are apart of my background. I grew up hearing certain terms and words from the south that I still use now.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If I had to guess I'd suggest that maybe his parents aren't from Vegas and come from the south or the midwest where that colloquialism is common. He probably learned it from his "folks".

• 6 months ago

It's just another word for parents. No big deal.

• 6 months ago

It's just a friendly, informal, colloquial way to say 'parents'.

Oh by the way, it doesn't always mean ONLY your parents. Depending on the context, it can also be used to mean your family in general.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ann
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Here in TX, it's what people refer to when they mean their parents. It's not disrespectful.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I'm also from TX. Our "folks" doesn't mean only your parents. It also means your uncles, aunts, nieces & nephews (and sometimes even your 2nd cousins) - all your relatives in your family

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

cause they are their folks

• Bear
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I call my mother the 'Coffin Dodger'.

• susie
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I think it is a lovely term, it implies a certain closeness.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's just a very commonly used expression.

• 6 months ago

JLNmk. WINJ dc. nocdn Jonás oc c d con shuoneufhv.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.