Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Why do people sometimes refer to their parents as their folks?

My best friend always refers to his parents as his folks..I don't think it's a cultural thing because he and I both grew up in Las Vegas. I always say parents.

• drip
    Favorite Answer

Even though you grew up in the same city it still can be cultural. I grew up near Chicago and have many southern colloquiums in my language. My mom is from Kentucky and her whole family still lives there. Her and our trips visiting family are apart of my background. I grew up hearing certain terms and words from the south that I still use now.

• Foofa

If I had to guess I'd suggest that maybe his parents aren't from Vegas and come from the south or the midwest where that colloquialism is common. He probably learned it from his "folks".

It's just another word for parents. No big deal.

It's just a friendly, informal, colloquial way to say 'parents'.

Oh by the way, it doesn't always mean ONLY your parents. Depending on the context, it can also be used to mean your family in general.

• Ann

Here in TX, it's what people refer to when they mean their parents. It's not disrespectful.

• Edna

I'm also from TX. Our "folks" doesn't mean only your parents. It also means your uncles, aunts, nieces & nephews (and sometimes even your 2nd cousins) - all your relatives in your family

cause they are their folks

• Bear

I call my mother the 'Coffin Dodger'.

• susie

I think it is a lovely term, it implies a certain closeness.

• Cogito

It's just a very commonly used expression.

JLNmk. WINJ dc. nocdn Jonás oc c d con shuoneufhv.