What is the EFI partition?

When I install Windows 10 64-bit on a blank hard disk, as well as creating the C: drive, Diskmgmt.msc shows that an EFI partition is created. What is the EFI partition and why is it created?
Update: When I install Windows 10 64-bit on a blank hard disk, as well as creating the C: drive, Diskmgmt.msc shows that an EFI partition is created. What is the EFI partition and why is it created? Update: Thanks for the answers so far. However, when I create a Live Linux USB pendrive, it has just one partition, and... show more When I install Windows 10 64-bit on a blank hard disk, as well as creating the C: drive, Diskmgmt.msc shows that an EFI partition is created. What is the EFI partition and why is it created?

Thanks for the answers so far. However, when I create a Live Linux USB pendrive, it has just one partition, and there is no EFI partition.