Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 5 months ago

Is name calling and insulting unbelievers an effective method of showing them the errors of their ways? If yes, what are other situation s?

this technique is effective?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Bob
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Name calling is the last resort of the inadequate.

• 5 months ago

The disciples of Jesus Christ were called Christians because they acting like and doing the things that Jesus did.

• 5 months ago

If they are being trolling asshats only coming here to disrupt and try to claim superiority

Yes by all means slap them down

Genuine questions get genuine answers

• 5 months ago

No. I think that generally doesn't work with ANYONE, no matter what you disagree with them on... All it ever achieves is, it often makes your opponents MORE shut off to your point of view. By giving them an even worse impression of it.

Thing is, though..? Humans have tempers! So when we get pissed off enough, some of us may do that. Counterproductive as it is. I've definitely been guilty of it myself as well. But the thing is? Often, at least on here, I've felt like: "this person is too far gone, anyway! I am never going to reach them! So I might as well just shout at them, and express how much I loathe everything they stand for."

Which... I suppose maybe certain Christians on here feel the same way about some of us non-Christians, too? I think we usually try harder to be civil when we think someone can actually be reached. But on this website..? Most people are so damn polarized, that is generally not the case! And what you say is always exceedingly unlikely to change people's minds! So.. then people either start shouting at their opponents, or preaching to the choir, instead. ;)

• Jen
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

(hi Amay <----I gave you thumbs up this time lol) Good answer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

As my father always said, once a person results to profanity and name-calling it means they are losing the debate

• 5 months ago

Ad hominem is a logical fallacy that is employed by those with untenable positions. It is an obvious clue that the opponent has no "error in their ways."

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No - obviously not.

Name-calling and throwing insults simply demonstrates a person's lack of intelligence and illustrates the fact that they have no coherent argument to offer.

What makes you think that there is any error in our ways? We're simply following our own consciences, using our intelligence and being rational. Those things are not errors.

If you want to convince us that we're wrong, all you have to do is show us indisputable evidence that God exists and give us some very good reasons why we should take any notice of him, if he does.

• 5 months ago

No, but then again there is no effective way of showing atheists the 'error of their ways'.

• Jen
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If you resort to name calling and insults (regardless to which "team" they are on), it just supports you have nothing relevant to say or add to the topic (which I remember studies being done that correlated name calling to low intelligence since the person has nothing intelligent to add to the conversation...hence they name call instead. I have to relook those up to see if new studies support that theory still).

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

nope, but it's a great way to get attention.

• Jen
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

i disagree that it gets someone's attention. I guess it depends on if you are used to that language or not.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.