Where do people get "ought" statements from?

a muslim extremist kills 3000 people in a terrorist attack, he ought to not have done that. but why? where do we get any ought statements from? You may prefer people not kill other people, it might make you upset, but there is no way to say they *ought* to not kill people.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

It's a very controlling word, so "You oughta say 'Goodnight' to your friends and come inside now!" more or less means: "You WILL say 'Goodnight' to your friends and come inside now, or else...."

• 5 months ago

If someone kills 3,000 people in a terrorist attack I doubt if I would just say 'Oh, he ought not to have done that'. I would be shouting and swearing and possibly crying too. 'Ought' is a very niminy-piminy word in the context of profound human emotions and morality.

• RP
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It (ought) is just another way of saying "should".

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

The expression is "you ought not to do it" or "you ought'nt to do it" not "you ought to not do it." It means the same as "you should not do it." I'm not sure what your point is.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

if you say should or ought to, you are declaring a judgement (the thing is either beneficial or not, and non-beneficial in some way becomes a should NOT judgement). Your internal rules (what we generally call morality) is what typically underlies such decisions.

Where does morality come from? It is largely learned when young, but it originates from the minds of man. We all respond to events in some way, and we dislike those things that cause negative emotional feelings and thus tend to find them to be things that should not be done except to avoid even worse outcomes.

You show us your true nature as a human being by your choices of actions. We will all judge your value to us other humans in terms that we have decided are best for ourselves.

We have to have an operational code to avoid chaos and anarchy. You do not have to accept that code, but we will reject you from our society if you find our codes to be unacceptable. You want your own rules, off you go into your own world because we cannot have that in ours.

Even wild animals develop such behavioral codes. It is beneficial to the continued existence of the life form. Each for himself is just a quick road to no one left.

• 5 months ago

their own personal interpretation of morality and ethics.

Morality and ethics are invented for a purpose and have no actual existence or definite validity.

• 5 months ago

When someone is a member of a religion or a cult they are supposed to follow the social good behaviour code of that group. Therefore "ought" simply means that they are a hypocrite if they don't follow the rules of good behaviour. It's also why there is "jihad" and "war" in which the good code of conduct is suspended.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.