Helpmydog asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

3 little puppies,?

I have three little puppies, they are perfectly. My concern is that one of the puppies is smaller compared to the other two. Is it because she was born the smallest?? I also see them twitching, i know that thats natural but what is the meaning of newborn pups( about a week old) twitching?? How old can i say that they are not going to die??

• ron h

be sure the little one is getting to the teet for milk. Be sure she's not pushed away by the other pups.

Yes, although we prefer to have an even sized litter, it is possible for there to be one or two 'runts'. They may well catch up however.

Twitching - perfectly normal - it's part of the growing process.

With a novice breeder, best practice is to take mum, with her puppies (on a heat pad to keep them warm and after a good top up just before leaving) to your vet soon after you feel she's empty, for him to give her a shot to clear out any retained birthing material, and to examine the puppies for any problems you might have missed. Then you'll know all is well.

just a suggestion, these are your pups you do as you wish.... I would take the family, mom included to the vet for checkup, the vet can check the mom for any postpartum condition, and the pups for heart murmur, or other issues affecting the pups thriving...the vet will be your best resource for necessary shots, feedings, etc...you can weigh the pups daily to make sure they are gaining weight.

Your vet.... who should have inspected the litter after whelping (as well as the mother) is the best one to ask your questions to, and to ally any and all of your fears or concerns, aside from your breeding mentor.

I'm glad that the results of your backyard breeding operation are "perfectly." Does a Veterinarian think they are "perfectly"?

Must just be the runt of the litter

I've seen so many puppies that twitch that I know this is perfectly normal (though not all do). Don't worry about one being a bit smaller, just hold her a bit more and feed her and she'll be fine. Its unlikely any of them will die but after 2-3 weeks I wouldn't worry about it much at all.