Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

Can a Carpenter do a good job in both replacing rotted support beams in a house, AND replacing the wax ring and flange in a toilet.?

Typically speaking.

Or do Carpenters normally Not deal with

toilet issues such as this.

Please explain why or why not.

generally speaking no but not inpossible

• John P

Much depends on normal practice where you live. Habits differ across the world. In Britain I used to think of calling in a plumber for watery matters, but my present neighbour is a skilled builder who has built brick walls and a fence for me, and installed a new shower and new toilet fittings.

Why not ask this a few more ******* times?

• elhigh

YOU can do a good job replacing the wax ring and reinstalling the toilet. It isn't rocket surgery.

Seriously, if you find that such a task is beyond your skill level, back away from the keyboard. You have no business operating any machinery, anywhere, ever.

Another important thing YOU should be aware of is that YOU are not hiring the carpenter to replace anything but the rotted beams. He's a CARPENTER. If you want him to do plumbing work, you'd better be ready to pay him for that as a separate job.

Handyman or builder is the way to go. As said already!

ohh keyriiiiist!! toilets are SIMPLE. all he has to do it bolt the flange onto the sewer hub, stick a wax ring on it, then just lift the toilet onto the TWO BOLTS that hold the toilet on. so YES he should be able to do it. listen, you better take his offer. i had some plumbers replacing my water heater and they wanted to charge me $450 to just change the wax ring. i've done it myself many times but am older now and due to a bad back, can no longer lift the toilet to set it back on the bolts. plumbers will rip you off big time!!!!

The toilet thing is a handyman thing and totally within what a carpenter can do if he wants to do it. The flange is OK. The wax ring just needs to be replaced with a new one. He can also check the floor area around the toilet for mushy wood from being watersoaked a long time. He CAN do it. He does his own. Ask him. Some are good at general tasks & will do that. He might have another carpenter job he has to go to so does not have the time because you did not ask him the first time to do that. He has allotted so much time to fix the support beam. Mention all the stuff in the beginning of the job, not later on. He may have promised his talent to another job right after he finishes with yours.

My son is a builder and carpenter. Builders typically take care of structural work and carpenters do the exposed finishing woodwork. But, my son does both. So, if the carpenter you have in mind to hire to do the job, has structural experience, he can replace rotted floor joists.

Installing a toilet over a wax ring is an easy DIY job. Go on youtube and check it out. Some tradesmen are cross trained or know those who can finish up a plumbing job after the floor joists are replaced and a new floor is installed.

Carpenters aren't plumbers.

• DEBS

A carpenter is good with his hands. Replacing wax rings on a toilet takes no skilled labor or expertise. I did it when I was in my 20s with zero plumbing or other training or experience and have replaced toilets a few times since then. If you asked whether he could re-pipe your entire house that would be a different conversation.

(PS: One would rarely, more likely ever, need to replace the wax ring on a toilet unless it was installed wrong or the toilet was removed for some reason.)

• DEBS

Seems like a good 'prank'

It take a person who know how to do carpenter works to replace a support beam in a house, but any dummy can replace a wax ring and flange in a toilet.

• Lv 4

hahahaaa, yeah, true!